Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Medtronic Pain Pump

• Hello,

I came across this post and thought it was highly interesting since Ive just had a Medtronic Syncromed 11 implanted on Sept 20th 2017. I go to have the staples removed Oct 9th. 2017.

I look forward to being released by the surgeon so i can have my pump filled and start my triation of morophine.

It has been a long road to get to this point of my journey and I still have alot to learn.

I hope those of you that do have the pain pump are feeling much better and able to partake in life again. I sooooo look forward to anything better than what it has been for me.

I guess my first question would be have any of you felt like the pump is rubbing against your bottom rib?

I did have the smaller size implanted 20ml instead of the 40ml since the day of the surgery, my surgeon advised the bigger one was just too big. I was alittle disappointed because i thought i would be able to go months without needing a refill. However, after some research on my part its better to change the medicine out more frequently.

Any thoughts?

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,432

Earlier today you asked a question about your pump in a discussion you started, Pain pump implanation.
    I replied to that one, so to keep from confusing other members, use your original discussion that was you have your own thread going.
    Thank you.

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my Medical History
  • advertisement
  • Hi, I've been lurking around spine-health for a couple of years but I've never posted or signed up. I thought I would finally register and post as I have recently on September 1, 2017 had a Medtronic to pain pump implanted after suffering and chronic pain for about 18 years. My pain pump was placed in the upper left portion of my buttocks and is almost unnoticeable to anyone except myself. The captor is placed at the top of my lumbar region, in the meds in the pump or morphine and bupivacaine. I was doing pretty good until this past week when they started me on the personal therapy manager that gives me bolus twice a day in exchange for Norcos I was taking.

I have experienced two dreadful taste and smell events after using the bolus and I'm now reluctant to use it at all. The offensive taste and smell doesn't occur immediately but when I wake up after sleeping it's there and last for the better part of the day it's so horrible that it unnerves me to the point I panic and cry and I don't see the doctor for a couple more weeks so the only thing I know to do is not use it. The surgery from the pain pump implant has healed very nicely especially considering past MRSA VRE patient and was worried the infection would re-occur. Not saying I'm out of the woods just yet but it's looking good at this point. My question is has anyone ever heard of the bupivacaine causing side effects of noxious taste and smell following administration of a bolus?

I was so happy to see people are still here that have pain pumps that I can talk to as looking through the internet I always find post from background 2011 - 2014 I guess people just move on with their lives especially when things are better. So as I said I'm new this is officially my first post and my name is Laura

• I never experience any side effects when after getting my pump refilled. Maybe its the way the doctor has programmed the device. Be sure to have your husband discuss this issue with the doctor - this issue needs addressed.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,432

I apologize for the delay in responding. I have had a Medtronics pain pump since Jan, with morphine and the bolus.
    In Dec. when I have pump refilled he wants to put bupivacaine in mine because the morphine is not controlling the pain enough.
    I have a bolus also but have never experienced any foul taste or smell. When you use the bolus you are getting a minute amount of drugs at a very slow rate. The drugs stay within the interthecal canal and should not affect your taste or smell.
    But I would discuss this with your doctor, something does not sound right.

I hope to hear from you again, again, sorry for for the slow response.

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my Medical History
  • advertisement
  • MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 361

I am not happy with my baclofen pump, it is set at 280

What is your set at Lisa? I just change doctors And my new doctor feels that

I should not have had the pump put in, he feels that there is something else wrong

I feel like A ping-pong ball being sent from doctor to doctor

Drop me a note please take care and God bless

• jonisingt35rjjonisingt35r Posts: 165
    edited 11/29/2017 - 5:41 AM

I womder if.some one cold please explain if the Medicine used I'm the pump workes in the brain or on the spinal chord itself, I.asked my doc the other day if i could try one, looks good I see someone using it simce 2001.

I constantly fear tolorence, I.just.started to use tramadol.

Thank you

• This message is for Lisatroop 120 and/or anyone who can help.

My doctor has recommended a Medtronic pain pump for my chronic abdominal pain. I’m very concerned about the possibility of severe and possibly fatal side effects. Can anyone please let me know if you have experienced such issues(obviously not fatality). Also I’m Concerned because of my size. I only weigh 130 pounds and I’m very skinny. I don’t have a lot of belly fat and I’m concerned that the device is going to significantly stick out from under my skin. Is there anyone that is a similar size/weight that have had it done that can advise me as to how much it will protrude from the skin?

• Hi my name is Candy. I have some questions for those who are or have been using the med Tronic pain pump. I am 36 Years old and I weigh 130 pounds with minimal belly fat. I am concerned that because I am so skinny that the pump will protrude significantly from underneath my skin, which would really grossed me out. Is there anyone else out there who is a similar or the same exact sciences me that could help me out with that information and let me know how it affected you? Also I’m very concerned about the potential severe side affectsIncluding the potential for death. I’d be interested to find out how many people out there have had significantly harmful side effects and have known anyone that actually died from using this pump. I’m very paranoid when it comes to such things but because of how bad my chronic pain as I think it would be best to get the pump in stalled.