Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Bone spurs, anyone? I seem to be developing lots of them

Hi gang,

Does anyone have a problem with bone spurs. I've been looking over my medical history and thinking about my doctors visits over the past decade or so. I've noticed that I seemed to be getting bone spurs in all the problem spots - my cervical spine, rotator cuff, lumbar spine and SI joint. Ive been thinking about these and asking the doc to treat each area separately. For example, my neck hurts and the doc says, you have a disc bulging onto your spinal cord. I get that fixed, but then I develop bone spurs. Just doesn't seem normal to me that bone spurs would be the go-to response in my body. Has this happened to anyone else. Does it sound like some form of arthritis, and what kind of doctor would be best to discuss this with? A general practictioner or an arthritis doc of some sort who could take tests?

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,432

Bone spurs (osteophyte) occur when ligaments and tendons around the bones and joints in the cervical spine are damaged or inflamed. The inflamed or damaged tissue abnormally influences surrounding bone growth. As a result, new bone cells are deposited where they would not normally grow.

It is often caused by cervical osteoarthritis and spinal stenosis. When you have inflammation, it should be treated. It's another one of those things that are not taken seriously and should.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • Thanks for the explanation in clear, easy to understand language. Is there a cure for osteoarthritis or spinal stenosis that doesn't involve surgery?

• advertisement

A cure? I wish!! I have both, have had for years. There are a lot of conservative treatments out there but no guarantee. Things like injections, PT exercise and diet. I've tried them all, didn't work and the older I get the worse it gets.
    Go to the search box at the top right of the page and key in "is there a cure for spinal stenosis", then scroll down. Very interesting reading.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator

I must have missed it (or forgot lol) but what all do you have going on in your spine?

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
  • advertisement
  • superdecooperssuperdecooper Posts: 16
    edited 08/20/2017 - 8:12 AM

Not much - just an acdf at c5c6, and buldge at c6c7 with a bone spur. Bulges at l3 to s1. Bone spurs at two of those discs. SI joint inflammation, with bony spurs and three rotator cuff surgeries for tears and bone spurs.

For some reason, i seem to be producing these things. I'm beginning to wonder if it's osteoarthritis- a word I've been ignoring and that some of my doctors mentioned in passing and that has cropped up on MRIs.

Also, i practiced and competed in karate (full contact) tournaments from about age 17 to about 42, not straight through but pretty regularly from 28 to 42. Including winning a state championship one year.

Evidently you have or have had a not of inflammation. That alone can tear away at your joints, muscles, ligaments and tissue.
    Your SI joint has inflammation therefore bone spurs.
    There are a lot of food that helps with inflammation. Also, I am on Arthotech, a low does inflammatory med twice a day. Instead of getting injections all the time we are going to see if this at least keeps it at bay.
    Congrats on the karate!! Do you still do any exercises?

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
  • Hi Sandra,

I don't do karate anymore because my neck only has a 45 degree range of motion, but I've been considering TaiChi. I do take arthortec 3x a day, 50 mg each. I refuse to live without that, and i can tell immediately if i miss a dose.

I've been trying to get turmeric in my diet. The pharmacist says taking that by pill would interact with arthrotect, so I'm being cautions. I also take fish oil pills. I may start to limit other foods that are unhelpful. I read somewhere that nightshade vegetable are not good for folks with artheritis.

Of course, I'm also leaving on an expedition to the fountain of youth next week. Will let you know how it turns out...(smile).

I had injections 2 weeks ago in my SI joint and piriformis muscle. It helped some but not enough to have it done again.
    I'll stick to my stretching when it bothers me, which I do several times a day. I will lean over what ever is closest, table, porch railing, patio table, stretch my arms out over my head and slowly stretch and stay there a few minutes.
    I really think that helps more than the injections did.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
advertisement