Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Radiofrequency ablation in cervical area... other options?

Hi, my pain management doctor is recommending that I do RF ablation for my neck pain. They tried the steroid with lidocaine shots first and now want to move to RF ablation. My question is... are there any other procedures that would be better? I am 26 years old and have arthritis in my neck and other issues in my neck. I have pain every single day and have to take pain killers. Just looking to see if anyone else has tried a different procedure and if so, what was the procedure? I've tried 1 million and one things to avoid injections, but it doesn't seem like there's something else. Thanks in advance.

advertisement

Comments

• Hi Bobbyo23, I had my first neck RFA a few weeks ago on one side and I'm going in for the other soon. I'm not a fan of needles but I've gotten used to them over the years. No way would I do nerve ablation without sedation. Have you tried physical therapy already? It helped improve my range of movement in the neck and shoulder, but I still have issues with nerve pain. The only alternative I can think of right now is accupuncture. I haven't done it but I hear it helps some people. I guess you've done epidural injections prior to the nerve block. If so, did it help any? With RFA, some insurance companies require one side done at a time. If successful, it can give you 6 months to a year or so of relief. It depends on how soon the nerve regenerate.
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • Hi Bobbyo23,

I have had 2 RFA on right side of neck. C3-4, C4-5. First time lasted 2 years. 2nd time lasted a year and a half. I am in the process of going through the nerve block tests for round 3. Why insurance is making me jump through hoops is beyond my comprehension. All procedures have been done with only taking a Valium before hand. Obviously I would recommend the procedure for pain relief. I am curious if you decided to go through with the RFA and if so, what were your results?

• advertisement