Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Broken Rods

One year ago April, I had major back surgery. I have scoliosis and the bottom of my spine, to hear him say, looked like hamburger meat. According to the pictures I was showed, he was right. But my spine was so crooked. They had to use a cadaver bone to make me a new tailbone. I have 2 rods in my back. They go from my tailbone, up to right below my neck. Then they run from my tailbone across towards my hips on both sides. 2 months ago, I felt and heard a load pop in my back. It was in the center, half way up. It's hurt for about an hour, but then that pain went away and it was hurting right at my tailbone and on both sides.it has steadily gotten worse. I went to the dr. And both of my rods are broke in half. He don't know how it happened . It shouldn't have. All I was doing was sitting at a desk and went to get up out of my chair. So, I am scheduled for surgery again to repair the rods. They have to cut the bottom part off, about 5 inches are more up and attach new parts of a rod to the top part. He is putting what he called a sleeve on them. I read some comment earlier on here about these rods, and I couldn't find them when I got back on here. So I am posting this, hoping those that commented will see it. There was several people said they couldn't break. They are titanium. Let me tell u they can, and they have. I'm due for the 2nd surgery because of it. I hope no one else ever has to deal with this, but I'm sure they will, because I have already read of several people whose rods have broken. I have been sitting in my bedroom, in a recliner for 2 months, because my dr. Cannot get me in until Oct. I have not layed down since this happened, and I cannot lay my recliner back, but I can lay it back enough to pull my feet up. My feet and legs are so swelled up, it looks like someone pumped me up with an air pump. I can walk maybe 50 feet, that's it. I walk to my kitchen and back. My husband and my kids wait on me hand and foot, and that's not me. I do for myself, always have, but not now. I am calling a lawyer today to file on the manufacturer of the rods. I will not do that to my Dr. I still have to have surgery. And I don't believe it's his fault. He didn't know they were going to break. So we will see what happens. I know there is no amount of money that could fix this pain. This has not just been a strain on me, physically and mentally, but on my husband. He will not leave my side. He is retired already and I thank God he is. I would not have made it without him.

• Hi kkayeusher

Welcome to Spine-health

Your medical journey and extent of it is not for the faint hearted and I had to re-read the beginning to check I had not mis-read it.

The breakage is clearly not something that I can imagine you trying to deal with, without immediate medical intervention

I have added two links below to give you more information about Spine-health and using the site.

Welcome to Spine Health

Spine-Health Moderator

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • Hello my name is Lindac and I’m trying to see what kkayeusher has done about her broken rods, because I also have two broken rods, had surgery on May 22, 2017 and 2 weeks ago sitting on the couch there was a very large pop. Since that time I have been in bad pain walking. This was the 2nd time it happened the first time I really didn’t have this kind of pain that was about 2 months ago. At that time whenever I walked my body back hips made grinding noises. That stopped now this. When to the doctor had x-rays nothing so they scheduled me for a Thoracie Spine Ct, it took another 2 weeks to get the okay from the insurance company. Went back to my doctor he informed I had 2 broken all he said was if it doesn’t get better by the next appointment I will need surgery again and no vacation. I’m really not happy with his answer I have to go back December 28, 2017. In the meantime I’m in pain and don’t know what to do or if it is a product defect. I was under the impression these rods are not suppose to break but the more I read I think this isn’t true, any one have a similar problem. Help !

• advertisement