Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

TENS Machine Under Clothes?

Hi!

I'm new to the forum! I'm 22 and after 10 years of exploring every possible option for my (sometimes bearable, sometimes excruciating) lower back pain, I've recently had the discussion with my doctor about accepting the fact I have Chronic Pain that will likely last a lifetime.

I'm adjusting to the thought of living my life without this going away. I've been sent to a Psychologist, Physio and Pain Management. Pain Management have been wonderful and have provided me with a portable, Wired TENS Unit that they've told me to wear daily. Ideally morning to evening.

This may seem a bit shallow and insignificant, but I'm struggling to find a way to wear it without it being obvious. The cords from the rectangles to the machine are long, the machine is bulky. It seems silly, but I refuse to let this affect my life significantly. I want to be fashionable, I want to be confident... it's a bit daunting and I get self conscious walking around with Wires poking out from under my shirt and a bulky machine on my hip. I work in a fairly creative industry in a role where I need to look good, especially when meeting Clients.

If anyone has experience wearing a portable TENS daily, and has any tips for making it more comfortable to wear, hiding it well, generally becoming more confident wearing it I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you :)

Helena

advertisement

Comments

• I've been wearing my tens unit since march and since it's the only thing that helps with pain it is a necessity to wear! If I have pants that have pockets I usually just tuck the cords into my back pockets and that hides them pretty well. I wear a lot of long shirts too. I found tunic length undershirts at old navy that cover the unit and I feel better when I wear them since it helps stop the unit when it falls off my waist band haha. That is prob the biggest annoyance. It seems bulky at first, but you get used to it and if it helps it is def worth wearing every day! I hardly even notice it anymore unless my cords get caught around a chair (I work in a preschool classroom so it happens a lot haha) or it slips off the waist band of my pants. It's the only thing right now that gets me through the work day so I think it is worth it!

• First thing I did was to use zip ties and connect the two wires that run next to each other. Then, after connecting all four pads, I take the wire bundles and loop them down my right thigh and only have the connecters stick out of the belt line of my pants. Then, I have the power unit on my belt like a phone. I think it's easier for a guy to do than a lady. It's all about getting creative!

Keith

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • advertisement
  • I wear sports bras & tuck the extra cordage into it. I also wear a camisole or tank top to hide the wires. My TENS has a belt clip so I just attach it to my waistband

• Thanks for the tips & sorry for the slow reply.

It's been a couple of weeks now so I'm getting the hang of it. I'm finding placement an issue - sometimes it'll be extremely effective and some days I feel it makes the pain worse. For low back (L5S1 & L45) pain, do you have any tips for placement?

Also, has anyone tried the adhesive/conductive gel that's available? I find the pads don't stick nearly as well as I would've hoped, there's been a few times when I've yelled a loud F*** in the shops I've felt a pad slip or unpeel and I've subconciously grabbed the pad and gotten a shock to my fingertips!

• All of the pads I've had stick quite well, on the first use. After I've used them once, there is no getting them to stick the second time. I also don't wear it all the time. Only when I hit the miserable point. I typically put mine on just below my belt line about two-three inches apart and then just above my belt line same distance apart. That works pretty well for me.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • advertisement
advertisement