Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Life after L3 to T10 fusion

I have had spine issues since 1985 and have had 3 minimally invasive procedures in my lumbar to deal with herniated disks. In 2014 I had a fusion from L3 to S1 and then in 2015 I was fused from L2 to L3. Recently I developed another herniated disk at L1-L2 and my doctor wants to removed the latest hardware I have at L2-L3 and replace it with a fusion from L3 up to T10. I am sorry if this discussion has been posted before, but I would really like to know what to expect after surgery. Any input or advice would be appreciated.

advertisement

Comments

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 427

i had a T10 through S2 and pelvis fusion done in december last year. my life is vastly improved! am i understanding correctly that you are now fused from S1 through L3? and now he wants to go to T10? if your fusion from L3 through S1 is solid, you will essentially end up like me-fused from T10 through S, and there are some range of mobility restrictions with going to S.

my story is in the scoliosis section "my scoliosis" and "my scoliosis part 2". Its everything from before surgery, to now.....hopefully it helps as you read through it on what to expect.... my situation is different from yours-my spine fell over, but the resulting fusion would be the same length as yours.....

you may want to ask your doctor to help you with physiotherapy etc after the surgery so that you can protect your disks above the longer fusion for the future. My annoyance so far (given that i am healing amazingly well) is ongoing back muscle spasms, from shoulders to hips on the recovery. there's muscle relaxants and physio for that. it's much more tolerable than before my surgery....everyone is different, so please have a read of my posts in the scoliosis section....i hope they help. .

Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, decompressions, facet joints removed. cages L4-5, L5-S1, rods, screws, scoliosis reduced to 0*.
    June 2015: Inflam facet arthrosis L1-S, pars fractures L5 and L2, 70* lateral scoliosis with 110* rotational scoliosis on reduction, facet cysts with nerve impingements bilaterally L2-3, L3-4, L4-5, spinal stenosis L2-L4

• Thanks for your comments; our situations sound pretty similar. I am currently fused from L2 to S1 right now due to herniated disks, scoliosis, spondylolisthesis and I also have spinal stenosis. My recent MRI showed a new herniation at L1-L2 plus there is a problem at the previous fusion L2-L3. Since my recent disk problem I have been unable to walk more than a few feet without having a lot of pain. I am hoping to have the surgery soon but at the same time I am worried about what to expect afterwards. Your experience gives me a lot more faith in having a positive outcome and knowing what to expect. Thank you.

• advertisement
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805

Hi Tunacious,

I'm 5 months out of a fusion from T11 thru S2 and into my pelvis. I was having leg and foot pain and only able to walk only short distances before surgery. I'm doing pretty darn good, it's a slow process healing, but I'm confident of my outcome.

I've gotten a lot of good information and support from WLLady and several others here. Keep a positive attitude, follow doctors orders, and be patient. Keep us posted on your next journey.

Ranger

you are very welcome tunacious247! please keep in touch......and yes, ranger is absolutely correct-patience lol. it is a very long process to heal up and learn how to move again without rehurting anything.....this forum is a great place to be-you definitely aren't alone! Please let us know how it goes, and keep in touch!

Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, decompressions, facet joints removed. cages L4-5, L5-S1, rods, screws, scoliosis reduced to 0*.
    June 2015: Inflam facet arthrosis L1-S, pars fractures L5 and L2, 70* lateral scoliosis with 110* rotational scoliosis on reduction, facet cysts with nerve impingements bilaterally L2-3, L3-4, L4-5, spinal stenosis L2-L4

• I just wanted to let you know that my spine surgery is finally scheduled for November 30, 2017. The plan is still the same as before where my doctor will be doing a laminectomy at L1-L2 correcting the problem at L2-L3 and then adding the hardware to fuse my spine from L3 to T10. It's been a tough couple months of waiting and hobbling with a walker and wheelchair, but I have my fingers crossed that everything goes as planned.

• advertisement

here's hoping it goes really really well! just remember to follow the drs orders, no BLT-ing (bending lifting twisting) and let yourself heal right the first time. I'm sooooo happy i was brave enough to go through my surgery-i won't ever look back! it's a scary thing to commit to, and we've all been scared going in. i'll have everything crossed for you as well!!

• My surgery date was changed a few times over the last month but finally last Thursday, December 14 my big day arrived. They did as expected and cleaned up around my last fusion at L2-3 and then did a laminectomy at L1-2. My doctor then removed the previous instrumentation from the fusion at L2-3 and added new instrumentation from L3 to T10. If you add it all up, I now have a continuous fusion from S1 to T10. This was my 6th spine surgery and the third involving fusion. The pain with this latest fusion is far worse than any of my previous ones so I am really hoping it's eases up. I am able to walk a little using a walker and pain pills, but due to other intestinal issues, I have to limit the use of the Percocet's which really do help.

Can anyone tell me how long the healing process will take before I can throw away the pain pills?

Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas,

Joe

• Tunacious247, I hope you are doing better with your recovery. Your surgery sounds exactly what my doctor wants to perform on me. This will be my 5th back surgery and I am really concerned about having it done. However, I am really sick of taking pain meds all the time. I really hope your pain is getting better. Please jufollow doctors orders. No BLT unless it's a Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato sandwich.

Best of luck with your recovery, Diane

• It's been 3 weeks since my spine surgery and I am starting to get around without a walker or wheelchair. I had a checkup appointment with my doctor on December 28. He removed the 42 staples from my back and told me that I was progressing as well as could be expected. I managed to get a copy of my doctors operative report which confirmed my suspicion about my last fusion in March 2016 where L2 was fused to L3. In his notes he indicated that the vertebrae failed to fuse plus the bolts and hardware in my spine were loose. He did not offer any explanation as to what could have caused the failed fusion or why it took so long to detect. He has started me on wearing what's called a Bone Growth Stimulator manufactured by Orthofix. I have no experience with the device, but they claim to be able to aide the fusion in setting up faster. Does anyone have experience with this technology?

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    edited 01/08/2018 - 9:03 PM

After a posterior/anterior cervical fusion of C3 thru C6 back in 2007 my former neurosurgeon prescribed a bone growth stimulator for me that I wore most of the daytime for 3 or 4 months if my memory serves me correct. Since then I've had 2 more spinal fusions involving several more levels both cervical & lumbar but my present orthopedic surgeon has never ordered a bone growth stimulator to be worn and I've always had successful results.

So I won't say that a stimulator will or will not enhance the ability to promote fusion. But I will say since my 2007 procedure their has been huge advances in technology to promote a faster fusion, some have been even controversial and a few resulting in landmark lawsuits. That's another story, I've done a lot of research on and learned a lot from doing so .

Good luck to you Tunacious, follow protocol, be patient, and hopefully your results will be positive.

Ranger

advertisement