Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain pump implantation

Hello,

Im currently recovering from the pain pump implantation surgery. I had it installed on Sept 20, 2017.

Has anyone experienced the feeling that its rubbing up against your bottom rib?

Thanks,

advertisement

Comments

• Hi Mardeesue2

Welcome to Spine-health

I do not have a pain pump so I cannot answer that question, but I am sure other members will respond when they read this.

I have added two links below to help new members with information on this very informative site. There is lots of material to research that will help give you the power of knowledge.

Welcome to Spine Health

AJ
    AJGormit
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • Thank you so much AjGormit.

Im obviously new here and appreciate the links you have given me to get started on my journey...

:)

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,437

Mardeesue2

Welcome to Spine-Health
    To answer your question, yes!! It's very uncomfortable and sometimes I'm like, excuse me while I readjust my pump lol
    Mine was implanted Jan. 19th., I was out of options as surgery was not possible. My surgeon literally had no where to put my pump except under my rib in a muscle. I have no fat and that was a problem. But so far I have not had any problems but we are still trying to find the right dose, and that takes awhile.
    Why did you have to get one? There are only a few members on this forum that have pumps but we help each other out and are always here for the new members.
    What kind of med or meds do you have?
    Let us know if you need anything and keep us posted on your journey. I have a journal on the forum called Day One of the Pain Pump Journey Part 1 and now part 2. But I'll be udating it in a few minutes as I went to the doctor and things have changed.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my Medical History
  • Hello Memerainbolt,

Thank you for taking the time to answer...

Well, I have many health issues leading up to this point of opting for a pain pump. Starting with lupus 2005 and then RA being Dx 2014.

Well if i back track further, early in my 20's i was in an auto accident that broke my face in more than a few places. Early in my 30's my c spine collapsed.c4-5, c5-6 then c6-7. I have plates and screws and bone from my hip to keep my head on. Lolo. From then on it was all down hill (or so it seems as i look back on it)

I have DDD, multiple fractures in my Tspine and Lspine. I have osteoporosis and Sacrococcygeal tumors. I suffer from peripheral neuropathy and a plethora of other disorders causing a multitude of pain issues.

Less than 10 years ago i was on a boat load of pain medications that only made me a zombie and I decided to fight my way back to the living even though I knew pain was to be a HUGE part of who I am.

I have been on Norco for the past many years and found out some of the reason I dont get relief is because of my genetic makeup. By the time my system recognizes any pain medication, its lost all of its helpful properties. Im very new to PM, it was suggested I see one after getting my lupus and RA under control. So i was referred to PM feb this year. My P.M Dr suggested the pump. I had the trial of both a stimulator (which did absolutely nothing and the leads migrated so far off it was more of an hindrance) I did the pain pump trial (bolus) and I was amazed at my level of activity in that small time frame.

So now here I'am... I get the staples out on Oct.9th and Once the surgeon releases me I go back to my PM Dr to have it filled with morophine.

Did you ever feel a deeeep pain where your back incision is? Like a pulled muscle but feels deeper?

Thanks and big hugggs...

So glad to hear back from you, thank you. And thank you for your story even though it's been a tough one.
    I am so glad to hear that you have finally found relief from the pump. As far as the pain where the incision is, yes, and it still bothers me. They had to cut muscles in the back as well as my stomach muscles to be able to put it in. But they will heal in time.
    Just remember, do not bend, twist or lift anything or reach over your head.
    My surgeon told me it would take months for the scar tissue to form around the pump to hold it in place. Until then to be very careful.

What size pump do you have? Mine is 40 mgs. and I also have a bolus device for extra doses.
    Take care, let me know if you have any more questions, I'll be glad to help you.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
  • advertisement
  • From what i learned about you, you are quite small too. Im 5"6 1/2. and around 110lbs. They were going to put in the 40ml size pump but once i got to the hospital my surgeon said it was way too large for me and was implanted with a 20ml pump. omgggg i wonder if they did do a 40ml how much i would feel that!!

Yep, we've always wondered why he put such a large pump in this tiny body. I keep hoping I'll gain weight but my metabolism is so high that I require a lot of calories just to maintain 89 lbs.

Did you get a PTM with yours (Personal Therapy Manager)? It's a remote device where you can get an extra bolus shot every 4 hrs.
    Let me know your date to have it filled. Start making some notes to take with you for questions and or concerns for the doctor. They will give you a printout every time you go (or should) when they increase the dose and fill it.
    Keep posting, we don't mind the questions. I came on this forum last August looking for information on pain pumps. The overwhelming welcoming, advice and support were way more than I could ever have imagined. I have always had a great support group here, new and old members.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
  • Hi there...

Its wonderful to pop in and see i have a new comment from you. .

Wow you are a tiny thing! I was a little sad i didnt have the body size to accommodate a larger pump. As small as you are, im surprised yours is the bigger size. No disrespect to you. Maybe you have more than one type of medicine in yours? I have read other stories on different sites about that. Thats why i ask.

Yes i did get a ptm with mine. Its sitting on my dresser in its little box waiting to be used. Lolololo. Do you use your often? What medicine do you have?

Im anxious to get mine filled. I will definitely be coming here and post updates to this posting of my journey. I think this is a great way to document things along the way..

I hope you are getting ALOT of relief!

This is the perfect place to document your journey, that's what I did. I have gone back and read, it's so interesting to see how far I've gone and the members who supported me. And you will have that too.
    My pump has 40 mg. morphine. Dosage rate is 2.672. I have a lot going on in my spine plus scoliosis which is fast moving. It has decided to take the muscles and nerves on the left along for the curve to the right. My bolus is every 4 hrs.

We've had a few people come and go on the forum that has talked about their pumps and how it changed their lives.
    Hang in there, it won't be long.

I have all kinds of other tips, do's and don'ts. Did they discuss with you about traveling?

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
  • Hi Sandra!!

I know its been a while since my last posting.. I pray you had a wonderful Thanksgiving...

I have been doing o. K... They had to up my RA infusions at my last rhumy appt.

I have now had my first fill up and 3 adjustments to my pump and I still have yet to get the relief. Today was an increase of 20% but with Christmas coming up I wont be able to get my next adj until the 9th. I do have an appt with the regular PM office on the 3rd, I guess this is when I could ask the dr. to turn on the PTA and let me use the bolus.? Do you recall when they initiated your use of the bolus?

Also, is your morphine concentrate 2mg?? I just wonder because i do have the smaller sized pump that holds 20ml.

I pray you are hanging in there and getting lots of relief.

advertisement