Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain pump implantation

advertisement

Comments

• Hi Mardeesue2! I’ve had a pump since 2009 and just had a full revision done in 12/18. I’m sorry you have not gotten much relief yet. Hopefully they will turn it up and give you a decent bolus to help you through.

Do you remember if you had pain up your back after your surgery? Like up to where the catheter went up to? It feels like my back is spasming and shaky. I’m only a week post op, but I forget what is normal since my original surgery was 8 years ago.

Best!

Kris

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,432

Mardee
    I apologize for the delay in responding. My pump hold 40 ml. and is set for 2.707 mg. a day. But my bolus is set for 1.477 every 4 hrs. which totals 8.862 mg. per day. Add the two and it's a total of 11.569 mg. per day. I forgot earlier to add the bolus in that.
    I do not understand why your doctor has not activated your bolus. It came with the pump so ask him to set it. My doctor set my mine the first day. Where did he put your catheter?

Hello blackdove!
    Welcome to Spine-Health and this thread.
    I remember my back doing the same thing after my surgery on Jan. 19th. My surgeon said it was the muscle and nerves he had to cut and move. If you don't mind me asking, where is your catheter? Why did you have to get a pain pump?

Hope you both have a good day!!

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • advertisement
  • Hello Blackdove and Sandra...

I hope you both had a lovely Christmas..

Blackdove-Yes I remember clearly the pain I experienced following my surgery. It felt like something ripped my back open and any movement took my breath away. The dr said its because they do cut into the muscle. It took, what seemed forever to geth thru that. Today actually i go in for an adjustment. I wasnt scheduled untill the 9th of Jan (which i felt was way too far out from my last appt) because they were double booked and the holiday coming up. I was dissapointed, but i asked to be put on the cancellation list and called me friday to come in today!

When i had my pump implanted Sept 2017 they wanted to take time before even filling it since i have a few autoimmune diseases and take medication that brings my immunity way down. So they didnt even fill it untill Nov 2017. As far as my bulus PTM I was told by the medical ofc when i see my dr next, ask him to activate it for me. I see him on Jan 3rd. Wish me luck... The office where my dr is, is set up as the main office and then they have a suite behind it for acupuncture and shots and pump refills. (Hope that made sense)...

Sandra, im feeling like a brusing/burning type feeling where the catheter incision is. Did you have this too? Could it be because any numbing meds when they did the initial sugery weared off??

How have you been Sandra? Did you ever get your situation with your catheter figured out.?

I pray you both are doing well!!

Love, Mardee

Mardee

If you had surgery in Sept., you should not have any burning. Please make sure you bring this up to your doctor, would hate to think it is an infection.
    My catheter, come to find out by my neurosurgeon, put it at T1 because he knew I would eventually need it higher too. I went to see him a couple of weeks ago with a new MRI in hand from cervical to lumbar. He looked at it and asked if my neck hurt, which I told him no. He showed me the MRI and said it should be. Cervial and thoracic is pretty messed up. So with the catheter being up so high it is covering the pain there (that I didn't know I had). He increased my dose by 15% and said to tell my PM to get more aggressive with the doses. I go tomorrow for a pump re-fill and increase.

When you go for an increase or pump re-fill they will (or should) give you a "session data report". Always get one, take it home and file it or put in your log. It will have all of your pump information plus any changes made this session. I like having my own records, keeping up with everything myself.

Please let me know how you are doing or if you need any more advice.
    Sandra

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
  • Hello Sandra...

I went to my appt yesterday and they increased me another 20%. I do get the print outs and save them everytime. I did tell them i have not had any relief and want my ptm turned on for the bulus, but the nurse at the pump facility said she wants me to have an mri to see if my catheter is still in the proper place because im not getting any relief yet. Well im at such a small dose it feels like they are dragging their feet. Although i have gotten what seems little updoses. I started at .3000 im now at .5400. My first increase was only 10% because i was itchy. The 2nd was 15% and the past 2 times have been 20% .

I was adimant this time at letting them know I feel its been so slow. So i do see my PM Dr on the 3rd for a general follow up and my nurse at the pump facility has requested an mri. So we'll see what the Dr says then.

Ps: my catheter is at the t10 i believe. Im sure when I have the MRI it will confirm this..

Are they gonna move your catheter?

Stay well sweet lady.

• advertisement

Mardee

You are so sweet, thank you. We are leaving my catheter at T1, that way it covers my whole spine. I have so many different problems at each level and then throw in scoliosis.
    I would be very adamant with your doctor about your increases. You went through the expense, time and pain to do this and you're still in pain. I looked in my journal in Jan. of last year and my dose was 1.199 mg. and the bolus was 2.389. So you are very low.

If you need anything, I'm here. If you want you can also PM me anytime, I don't mind.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator

Mardee and Blackdove

Just checking in on the both of you I wanted to know how ya'll have been doing.
    Mardee, I believe you had a followup with your doctor on the 3rd, how did that go?

Stay in touch.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
advertisement