Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Difference between injections

I am confused about the difference between epidural steroid injections...

I have received several steroid injections in the past.

My surgeon is now ordering me to have a Transforaminal epidural injection for left L5

I have been reading different instructions for this. Does this injection require any sedation? Will I need someone to drive me home? Is there anything specific for aftercare like resting the rest of day? I have never had any of the above mentioned for previous injections, and will obviously ask when I make my appointment.

Was hoping someone could clarify and share their experience and outcome from this type of injection.

Thank you!

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,636
    What I understand is that the Transforaminal epidural injection is to the side and more of a nerve block injection where the standard ESI goes directly into the epidural space.

Here is some good reading ESI
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: [email protected]
  • Thanks

Wondering if there is anyone who has had it and their outcome?

• advertisement
  • patagonia845ppatagonia845 Posts: 1
    edited 10/22/2017 - 12:26 PM

I've had a transforaminal ESI and caudal ESI. They are just different entry points for the needle. The transforaminal is more targeted, but my doctor said that in the long-run both have the same effectiveness. Also, for the transforaminal, he did two injections - one at the primary area of pain (L5-S1) and one above at L4-L5. Since the steroid doesn't spread as much with this type of injection, he did two for the most impact. For me, he tried the caudal the second time to see if it would be more effective than the TFESI. I was given the same discharge instructions for both procedures. There was no noticeable difference on my end procedure-wise. I had the caudal a few days ago, so not sure if it will be better or not. However, both seemed to have provided relief for sure.

• jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 465

I have had countless steroid injections on different levels. It's hit or miss depending on how bad the nerve is pinched. I have had it help for years or do nothing at all.

advertisement