Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

New to chronic pain

Hello everyone. Like the title says, I am new to this serious chronic pain. I have always had some sort of pain since I hurt my back when I was twelve diving into the shallow end of a pool. But as bad as any of it has been, it waxes and wanes, and it has NEVER been as excruciating as this. The worst part is, it has been all of a week and I already feel like I can't get through this. I have an MRI next week before my visit with a spine doctor. The orthopedic guy said it looked like cervical radiculopathy (sp) from the x rays and the symptoms. None of the pain meds, including a shot of fentanyl at the hospital, even touched the pain. Now I am on just two nerve meds that help a tiny bit during the day, but at night, nothing. I can't sleep at all, which is why i am on here at this hour. I can't even type on here without excruciating pain, so I am hoping to set up a voice recognition deal so I can not type. I would like to hear more about managing this pain, during the day, but more importantly at night. I can't go on like this, not sleeping. I appreciate any help you can offer. I now having a positive attitude is key, but right now it is hard to feel positive when I am beyond exhausted from the unremitting pain and lack of sleep. Thank you.

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,107

Hello koolaide17

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Please click on the link for useful information Welcome to Spine-Health

All new members should take the System Tutorial

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Call your doctor and let them know what you're going through. Different pain generators respond differently to certain medications. If Fentanyl didn't help, the doctor may try a medicine that specifically works on nerves such as gabapentin. BUT, that has to be a decision made by your doctor and it will be helpful to him/her to know that the Fentanyl didn't provide relief.

I think we can all sympathize with what you're going through!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,636
    As Liz stated, there are no medical professionals here, so we can offer only personal advice from our own experiences.
    Here is something that you should read Chronic Pain - Step by Step

Another piece of information you should find useful The Blend This describes the various ways people can manage pain without just using opioids.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: [email protected]
  • Thank you, everyone. Sorry if I broke the rules, I didn't mean to. I was sleepless and not paying good attention to them. I didn't mean to ask for pro help, just what others were doing. And thank the Lord, I am doing much better. I am on gabapentin (sp?) and Celebrex and a muscle relaxer and my pain is down to a 3-4 which I can live with. Although 0 or 1 would be the best!! But I have been in pain all my life, so what's some more right, as long as it's not a 10. But I am still wondering how others survive this with a smile? I can smile now, but when it was a 10 I was not able to smile. It was all I could do not to growl at people. :) Thanks again!

• Thank you so much dilaruo for that article. It helped me so much. I kind of thought that keeping my meds to a minimum was a good idea since I know our bodies get used to doses and they start to not work so well. I am just now getting used to the fact that this is life-long and it will not magically go away one day and I will be able to do all the crazy physical things I used to do. It is not an easy adjustment but I know I have to because I don't want to be completely crippled up one day. So I have to get used to caring for myself and use moderation. I can do this! Thanks again.

• advertisement
advertisement