Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Dont want to get addicted.

Still in loads of pain since my surgery in april. I still have alot of back problems. I hate taking pain medicine but I have decided that if I want to do anything at all like work or go out with my family that I have to take something or I am irritable and grumpy from pain.

I have been taking flexreel, Percocet, and Ibuprofen. I go to pain management monday and from what Ive been told by my doctor I will be staying on these and adding lyrica for my nerve pain.

I dont want to become addicted to these meds but I have to have something to be able to function. I guess my question would be. Is there anything else I could take for pain that is non addictive. Im scared to death. Ive seen alot of people with back problems like mine become addicted.

Any advice is appreciated. You guys are great. I read all the stories. No one understands what we are going through better than others with the same problems.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,437

fesstuss,

Being a retired pharmacy tech I learned a lot about meds. Now that I suffer from chronic pain I've learned even more.
    When an addict takes opiates (narcotics) for no reason, the drugs go to their brains for it has nowhere else to go. Thus the getting high feeling. When you take your meds, do you get high? Probably not.
    Every drug is manufactured for a specific reason, to treat a specific condition. When you take your meds, like they are prescribed, they are for pain and they will go to that area of pain. As long as you have the pain. When you want to get off of them it should be under your doctor's orders. And yes, you may have withdrawals, but not like if you were addicted.

I was on about 4-5 different pain meds. before I got my pain pump. My surgeon told me the day after my surgery not to take anymore pain meds, didn't need them. I had a few "not pleasant days" but it wasn't like withdrawals.
    Pain has to be managed. No one can live continuously without some sort of relief.
    Do some research on it.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • Fesstuss

Pain medications are a tool..nothing more, nothing less. Living your life..that as a goal will help keep you lined out on what really matters.

Were a little slower and less able as a fact..not having to suffer needlessly is a big factor in the psychology of pain managment.

Its admirable that you want to live without the strings of any possible debility related to opiates in the future..but think about what and why any medicine would be good or bad and then decide whats best at this time.

Changes happen and you may harden enough to cut back on some meds..conversely? Hopefully not..you may need to increase or change meds.

This is a dynamic process..if you want it to be.

To a point.

I went, years ago from 7 to 5 to 3 meds that worked for me. Your plugged in on what your needs are which is an asset.

There are different addictions

Physical

Psychological

Of these? Psychological is hard to break from.

You get used to a certain way of feeling and when meds are threatened to be taken or changes made, the mind will not want to leave a comfort zone. Fear,anger and other emotions will come into play..see the dynamicism?

Consider the variables and make the best decision with your PCP s help.

Good luck!

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• advertisement
  • The pain management docs prescribed me tramadol. Its not supposed to be as addictive as some of the other pain meds.

He also wrote me some meds for nerve pain and he is gonna give me a epidural steroid injection next week.

Lets hope these meds and procedures help. I dont want to be addicted but I cant stay in this much pain either.

Thanks for the input guys.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've.been taking.tramadol for a.few months

Can't say that I ever crave for it.

• advertisement
  • Fesstuss, what kind of surgery did you have? Was it a fusion? Curious because you said your were taking ibuprofen.

10 level fusion T9 - S1 with pelvic fixation. Two titanium rods, 24 screws, 4 cages.

Firm believer in PMA

• Saying that you can become addicted to them my advice is to ask your doctor or do some research

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi, I find Micbt by Bruno Canyoun really reduces my pain naturally (Mindfulness integrated CBT), the book is available on Amazon and the accompanying tracks can be downloaded online, when you get to the body scanning section and read FAQs some of his patients have had 50% reduction in pain from following his programme. It’s worth a try if you can reduce your meds. Also have you looked at nerve blocks or radiofrequency ablation for nerve issues?

• I’ve also been prescribed melatonin by my pain doctor which I take at night (not as a sedative but to promote healing) - I’m taking 9mg and it seems to relax the nervous system and helps me to sleep when nerves are irritated after rhiziotomy!

advertisement