Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Dont want to get addicted.

• Being dependent on a medication can be scary to think about. There is a definite difference between addiction and dependence. My body is used to my pain pump and will revolt if the Pain meds stop flowing, but I am not an addict. My body is dependent. Addiction is about a psychological need and various negative behaviors like lying, stealing, violence, etc. dependency is a medical condition that is a result of your body becoming dependent on opioids.

• I had this same fear. I spoke frankly to my PM before agreeing to even try extended release meds or opiates of any kind. Opiate addiction is such a hot button, you hear horrible stories, why would I NOT be afraid.

But then the TRUTH was laid out plainly. I have NEVER experienced euphoria (high), loopy drugged up feeling taking ANY of my prescribed meds. I take an inordinate amount of powerful meds and I’m actually more concerned why I have NONE of those “addictive” sensations. I have a very complex cause of chronic pain. I’ll never be “pain free” so I try to take just enough to peel me off the ceiling.

I am 2 weeks out of surgery to have a SCS implant done so my pain is really tough right now. My hope is to taper down on my need for medication. My 7 day trial was the first time in 8 years I slept a full night without being woken by pain at 3 AM.

If I was ever given any med that DID cause euphoria... I’d call my PM ASAP and get off it. How I’d LOVE to be free of pain for one hour ... but I won’t ever allow myself to go that path BECAUSE of my fear of addiction.

Be honest... if you have an a PM with ethics and experience... work as a team.

• advertisement