It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Been struggling with disc issues and sciatica for about 4 months now. However about 5 weeks ago it got much worse. Walking, which was never an issue before, was very painful -- about 7-9 out of 10.
Got MRI done 2 weeks ago and confirmed "very large" 12mm l5-s1 right side disc herniation with annular tear impinging on the nerve root. No other complications shown on MRI. Had follow up with GP and waiting to see specialists. I'm in Canada though so that may take a while.
My theory is I had a bulging disc before, and that it ruptured 5 weeks ago.
Since then my walking has improved, I'm no longer limping but the pain is still there -- about 2-5 out of 10. Pain typically goes up the more I walk. I've been at this same level for about 2 weeks. Pain goes all the way to my foot. Foot often has tingling pain and one section of it has intermittent numbness. I'm lucky in that most of the time I can lie on my back with little / no pain, though the pain often gives me trouble falling asleep.
The thing that concerns me the most is my calf muscle weakness. It is not severe, but its definitely there. With my right leg I can only do about 1/2 of a calf raise without any help from the rest of my body.
I'll be hearing from some specialists (hopefully) soon, but in the meantime I am trying to suss out my decision making process re: surgery/no surgery. With the information and past stories here I'm finding it could really go either way. On the one hand my herniation is large (12mm) and "Severely" impinges the nerve root. I have pain walking and thus trouble functioning normally. And I have muscle weakness and some foot numbness.
On the other hand, my symptoms are improving at least for now, and I don't have many of those supposed key surgical signs (foot drop, loss of bowel, permanent numbness, severe muscle weakness). My thought process now is that I would push for surgery only if I stagnate for about 6 months, or if it leads to a lower chance of permanent damage.
I'm curious if anyone has a similar set of symptoms, specifically the calf muscle weakness and herniation size, and what they eventually decided/how they're faring now. I will keep updating this post until my (hopeful) recovery.
thank you all,
Find Your Path to Pain Relief
Get your FREE, comprehensive Guide to Chronic Pain when you subscribe to our newsletter!