Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

2.5 yrs to diagnoses

hi, I haven haven’t an mri in my neck yet ( referal in place ) but Orthopaedic surgeon sent me for an x ray which was clear and he suspects Cervical radiculopothy (sp?). Neck pain is actually fairly recent although I’ve had weakness and stiffness for some time. I’ve had tests for everything from Rheumatoid, carpal tunnel and treatment for rotator cuff pain. My hands are totally numb and my right arm is seized from the wrist and started getting facial tingling this week as well as severe neck pain. I’m really scared how fast this is progressing now and that permanent damage is already there because it’s taken so long to get to this stage through nhs. I’ve had bladder problems and tinnitus/sinus issues for about a year and a half as well which is looking likely to be related ?!

Does anyone have experience of symptoms for this long and treatment being successful ?

Any input appreciated. X

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,433

lilpink
    Welcome to Spine-Health

I am so sorry you've had to deal with this for over 2 yrs. What did your doctor have to say about your hands being numb and the tingling? I hope you get your referral for the MRI soon.

Please click on the Welcome link below for more information regarding the forum.
    Welcome to Spine Health

Please keep us posted on any progress.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • Hi, I’ve had wrist nerve function tests for CTS which were fine. The numbness and weakness in my hands were the first symptoms I had. Only in the last 6 months has it spread up my right arm and 4 weeks into my shoulder and neck. I can’t look down without feeling dizzy and when I lie on my back my face starts tingling. Just been signed off my work and I can’t see this getting better any time soon. Feel so let down by my gp.

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,433

Oh No!! Who are you seeing now? Because you need to get another opinion as soon as you can.
    Hang in there, don't give up. find someone new and start over.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my Medical History
  • I’m under the orthopaedic surgegery consultant now, waiting on the mri. He said they can’t go into treatments or options until the scan. So I’ve had my Amitriptaline upped and now taking co-codamol 3 times a day. I’m just really worried about permanent damage, would like to hear if anyone has had similar for this length of time before diagnosis. X

• Hi lilpink

Just wondering if you have your scan date yet. If not, try calling the MRI department direct and letting them know politely, you are available for a cancellation at short notice. It will give you an opening to ask about waiting times and will remind them you are there!

I have damage at C4/5 & C5/6 but treatment for this is totally on hold as my surgeon had to operate on my Lumbar spine for a fusion and said 'only one things at a time'. I have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel for some of my hand issues, but some of the symptoms in my upper arms and neck, head and dizziness are related to my c-spine.

I would advise that if you develop any new symptoms to call your medical team, probably secretary and report new symptoms and ask for these details to be passed to your surgeon and say you are seeking advice. Waiting times are a nightmare but if you keep them updated and your name fresh in their minds, they can assess if you need more urgent investigation.

I was also advised to contact my surgeons office (secretary again) and confirm once I had had my scan, to encourage movement on the follow up date with my surgeon.

If you are having a contrast dye you may have to have bloods done before the MRI to check you are suitable. I think on one of mine, a previous bloods was within the timescales so didn't need a new test.

We are very lucky to have the NHS but the waiting times can be a little frustrating at times.

Please let us know how you are and if you there is any information you cannot find on the forum and we will do our best to support.

There is also a lot of information within the Surgery Buddies groups. I found these invaluable through my long waiting times and through surgery and recovery.

Sorry this has turned into a bit of an essay, but hope it helps.

AJ

AJGormit
    Spine-Health Moderator

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • advertisement
  • Hi AJ thanks for your reply too, yes I had a call on tues saying X-ray had received my referal and if I am available this Sunday 12/11 they will call me by noon if there’s any spaces I can go straight along. So hopefully tomorrow or next Sunday at the latest. I will chase up my next Orthopaedic app as you suggest, I feel my symptoms are continually progressing at a scary rate despite the medications. My nerve function tests were normal for carpal tunnel despite the fact I have very limited use of my hands and I have spent the last few years on an array of medication for all this including bladder problems which has been quite embarrassing and I’m loath to go to my gp as she makes me feel like a hypochondriac. I am very active and proactive about problems and this is taking over my life right now., been so worried they’ll never find what’s wrong before permanent damage has been done. I am too scared to read anything on the surgical boards until I know what we are dealing with.

• Oh dear, sounds like you really have a neck problem. That tingling and numbness is actually coming from your neck. Please make an appointment to see a cervical or spinal/cranial doctor or neurosurgeon. Please do this sooner than later and get back to us to let us know how it is going.

advertisement