Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Does this sound right in your opinion??

Hi all,

I broke down several weeks ago and went to the chiropractor about thoracic pain I've been having in addition to the pain I constantly have from my fusion. My medications do a pretty good job with the pain from my surgery, but it isn't touching what I'm feeling in my thoracic area.

I called my PCP who cant get me in until the middle of November (thank you, ACA). So, I went to a chiropractor in town who has good ratings across the board. He did x-rays and said that there was arthritis around T6. I got a copy of the x-rays so I sent them with a friend who is a Radiology PA. Anyway, getting back to the doctor, I told him that I had a fusion which was very obvious in the xrays. I specifically said nothing can be done to that area of my back. So he adjusts my upper back and neck and put me on a TENS unit for 10 minutes. I've done that now for 6 visits. Then, at my last visit, my file was changed and it says they can only use the "Pro Adjuster" on me now. It's like an impact wrench they use to do alignments. So, he uses it on me on my upper back and before I know what's happening, he is using it on my fusion site! I sat up quickly and said that hurts like hel# and he went to another level. The last two days I've been uncomfortable big time around my fusion site. The good news is the thoracic pain isn't as bad as what it was when I first started going.

This is where things get weird. The PA who read my xray called me and said there is no arthritis around that part of my spine. He even had an Ortho looked at it to verify. He said the Ortho recommends an MRI as soon as possible. So, if what the Chiro saw isn't arthritis, but the adjustments have helped that part of my back then I'm a little bit at a loss. I like the Chiro, but given his treatment of my fused area after I have told them repeatedly that my lumbar area is off limits is concerning. Plus, I cannot find any peer reviewed articles on the "Pro Adjuster" to see if this is real medicine or if I'm being sold snake oil.

Has anyone else been treated by a Chiro using one of these devices? After looking on line, I'm finding a lot of negative info, but nothing from a reputable medical source. My Neurosurgeon always told me to stay away from Chiro's but I couldn't take the thoracic pain any longer without doing something.

Thanks!

Keith

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,432

Keith

Even your neuro is telling you to stay away from chiros. Hello!!??
    I went on line too, me the research nut, and nothing that stood out saying "this will help". I am very leary, but that's me.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • Max_LeeMax_Lee New York, United StatesPosts: 269

RUN.

If you told them not to go near your fusion site and they did it anyways, LEAVE. I'll slog through the school databases (bad weather somehow = slow internet up here, but I digress), but I highly doubt there are any reputable peer-reviewed studies out there for this "Pro Adjuster" thingy. Also, if they're saying there isn't an issue on that level; you may want to consider getting that MRI as an x-ray isn't terribly detailed. The relief you got may just be you having a placebo effect. I generally advise people to avoid chiropractors like the plague because science (IMO).

Again, if a provider is doing something and you told them 'Don't do The Thing' and they do it anyways without a solid clinical reason that is explained beforehand, don't let them touch you. A provider really, REALLY shouldn't do something like that because sometimes there are clear reasons not to do The Thing (like not taking a BP on the side with a fistula because the patient told you not to; doing it anyway could be potentially catastrophic, will be extremely messy, and leave you open for liability issues). Once in the psych center, they forgot that I have extrapyramidal/tardive dyskinesea/dystonia reactions to anti-psychotic medication. I was flipping out, got a B52, and about a year and a half later there are still residual effects and scars inside my mouth from the reaction. That's why I get issues with providers who don't listen and go do The Thing anyways. Legit forgetting maybe once is forgivable if nobody was harmed, but if it caused harm (or could have caused serious or even fatal harm) or happens again, not really forgivable.

Kieran
    "The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the
    brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they do
    not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do.''-Anonymous

My Story: /forum/discussion/90688/pain/neck-pain-cervical/help#latest

• advertisement
  • Sandra - Yep, I shouldn't have gone but not being able to see GP until Mid November wasn't going to work either. I refuse to go to the ER. Working for a hospital, I know exactly how PM patients are viewed who come to the ED with more back pain. It's totally wrong for everyone to stereotype chronic pain patients, but it happens!

Max Lee - I'm sorry you've been through what you have! Doesn't sound fun at all. I'm done with the chiro. I'm just going to rely on my massage guy to loosen up my back. I'm hoping my GP will order an MRI so I can see what's really going on back there.

It took my lower back a while to feel "my new normal" after he used the impact wrench thingy on me. This past weekend I was out of town and on my feet more than usual and to say I was hurting is an understatement. I had to start using my walking stick inside the show and people were staring at me like I am nuts. I use a hiking stick as a cane when I'm on my feet that long. I don't like the stigma of using an actual cane at 51 yrs old. I'm still in denial that I'm partially handicapped and need help from time to time! Typical man!

Keith

• skipperw10sskipperw10 Posts: 2
    edited 12/05/2017 - 1:57 AM

Kieth

I am a new fusion recipient and have read a lot of your posts and threads. They have helped me with current issues and possible future of my life. You are tough and seem to have your head screwed on straight. I have over ten years of issues and pain leading up to my surgery and have days where I wish a had not gone through with it. I have had a life of football, moto-cross and rodeo so pain and wrecks were just part of the road that you travel. With out going into a list of stuff I’m still dealing with just know that you are probably helping many people without even knowing it. How you work as an EMS first responder is beyond me. Just want to say thanks, I’m new to posting but not reading the forum

Thnx Brian

• Thank you, Brian! You've made my day! I think all of us on this forum have had those days where we wish we had done things differently. They key is to not let yourself get down mentally about it. On a totally unrelated note, my PM was just published on the benefits of Hemp oil use for chronic pain. I can't post his name because it violates rules, but if you search "Hemp oil for chronic pain" the report should come up. He practices in KY and IN.

Keep your head up!

Keith

• advertisement
advertisement