Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Somethings Got To Give!!

my back pain started the end of September after a camping trip. The back pain quickly turned into a terrible feeling of cramping muscles down my right leg. I went to the walk in clinic and was prescribed a muscle relaxor and ibuprofen- which do nothing. Tired heat, ice, stretching, baths, chiropractor, etc.

I went to my pcp two week later and was prescribed gabapentin. I’m not sure how much of this you need to take to make it work- but they don’t seem to touch the pain.

Today, I had to go to urgent care because the cramping was so intense in my leg that I couldn’t stand or sit. I only get about 80% relief from laying on a flat surface. I was prescribed another muscle relaxer and a steriod.

I’m worried that I won’t be able to fly on a plane for a trip that is in exactly 2 weeks because of the pain, and I’ve waited a year for this trip not to mention that I can’t keep missing work.

Please help!!!

advertisement

Comments

• My right leg usually cramps first and severe enough to torque the lower part of my extremity to force my knee out of joint..quite annoying..

Heat applied seems to keep my nerves calm..only thing working at the moment.

It alse seems to be surface dependant too

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• That is helpful to know! I’ve heard heat and/or ice can be helpful.

I went to the ER this morning after being in unbearable pain all night. Was told they will not do any scans and was sent home with a script for a higher dose of steriods and a script for valium.

I just want to be able to sit and stand again for more than 30 seconds without the unbearable cramping

• advertisement
  • Caught in that viscious cycle

Can you schedual an appt with a neurologist,perhaps through your Primary Care Provider?

I went to the er trying to get relief. Numerous tumes until they did more tests.

Be your own best advocate..fight to find annswers!

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,432

You need to find the cause, not just treat a symptom.
    As William stated, see a neurologist to find out.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • I’m hitting road blocks as I’ve been to my pcp, walk-ins and the ER. I brought up testing today when i went to the ER and they consulted with my pcp. Both agreed that since it has only been a few months and no traumatic injury occured to cause the pain, that scans were not indicated at this time.

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,365

I can understand what the doctors are saying. Since this started at the end of September, they are probably looking at a muscular problem, strain, pull, or even a pinched nerve. All which are very painful, but fortunately are acute and with time should approve.

The muscle relaxer and Valium should like a good action plan for now. What does puzzle me is that you were not sure the amount of gapbentin you should be taking and why the doctor even prescribed it for you. Its a nerve medication.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: [email protected]
  • Insurance companies are to blame for ER's not being able to do MRI's. They (ER Docs) typically can order CT's and X-rays, but that's about it. Most insurance companies require 2 months as a minimum before they will allow an MRI to be done.

One work around to this is if your willing to do what's called a private pay. If you can get your doctor (whichever specialty) to write a script for the MRI and you don't file for insurance, you can usually go to an independent radiological center and they will do it, so long as you're paying. Some may even lower how much they charge if you're paying for it instead of insurance. They then give report back to the physician that ordered the study.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
advertisement