Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Discouraged

i had my L4/L5 fusion on 8/29/17. Im just wondering when I might feel any improvement. Im experiencing a lot of nerve pain. When do people typically feel better than before Fusion? I know it’s different for everyone - I just want some feedback. Thanks everyone.

advertisement

Comments

• i Had a S1-L4 fusion on May 1 2017. It took till about a month ago for nerve pain to go away, but I still have low back pain. Don't get me wrong, it is better then pre-op. Everyone heals at a different rate. I have learned to not go by anyone else's recover. I expect for myself that it could take a year or better to feel "normal" again. As long as your healing well, follow the Dr's recommendation, do therapy when ordered it will come in time. Just don't get discouraged.

• carolbrccarolbr Posts: 1
    edited 11/16/2017 - 1:42 PM

I had a six level fusion Aug 3. L1-S1. Excellent recovery EXCEPT a debilitating chronic nerve pain in a specific location (for me L hip to front of thigh radiating to just below the knee). Myelogram showed it to be a pedicle screw touching a nerve bundle at L4. I am scheduled to have that fixed in two weeks. Easy fix. Hope it works. If you are well recovered and past the bone pain, tissue pain, muscle pain and still have BAD nerve pain in a specific location, keep pursuing. Several things could be going on. It took me four appointments to get to the bottom of things. I will add that i KNEW something was going on that was not right, so kept pushing for an answer.

• advertisement
  • You didn't mention physical therapy. You should have been prescribed four or six weeks of physical therapy which will really do you a world of good.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,636
    Please read Recovery, the most important phase - Patience

Nerve pain takes the longest to heal. The longer your nerves were damaged before surgery, the longer they will take to heal.
    With my 3rd lumbar surgery, I waited too long before having surgery. As a result I have a number of dead nerves from my right knee down to my foot, which is one of the reasons I have a drop foot.

My last lumbar surgery, I had a laminectomy L2-L5. It took over 16 months before the nerve pain subsided. The back pain was gone 2 months after that surgery.

But when you are ever in doubt, I suggest you call your surgeon to get their opinion.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: [email protected]
advertisement