Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Injections, injections and more injections

DaisyFlowerDaisyFlower Posts: 51
edited 11/15/2017 - 12:08 AM in Pain Management

I've been getting steroid injections for lumbar spine issues for a few years now. Do they help? Not really. Once in a rare while I feel my pain decreases for a few days... And that's it. Recently tried a more direct location in a particular area, but no luck. I actually felt worse. My doctor keeps offering them, so I take them, figuring maybe one of them will work at some point so why not? Plus I figure it looks like I am willing to try... But overall- is it worth it? Could so many injections cause a build up of scar tissue or cause any damage?

advertisement

Comments

• jbowerjbower wisconsin Posts: 31

I have yet to ever receive a steroid injection that actually works. I had tons of them years ago and received zero relief. The only thing I ever got out of them is a high bill.

Then a few years back I started them again till I saw an orthopedic surgeon and he said those don't work and I ended up having surgery on my L5 S1. That was due to a herniated disc though pinching my sciatic nerve. So it just took the right doctor or surgeon to realize they were useless for me.

I think it's more just to keep getting a lot of money out of you or insurance. If the first two don't do anything then more than likely more will not either. I would say it's time to find a second opinion but that's just me...

Taking it one day at a time, that is all we really can do while living with chronic pain.

• jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 464

Ablations really work for me.

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,365

Overall I have had good success with ESI. My insurance company and doctors would only allow for 3 a year, but looking back over the years, I had more success with them then not. My most success was in join steroid injections. While not the same method to administer them, for years I had good luck. Back in 2007 when my shoulders were killing me, we started with steroid injections every 6 months.

I did have alot of relief from all those injections Only once did I have a problem and that was when the doctor gave me the injection blind without any aid of x-ray or fluoroscope devices.

So between all the ESI's I had for my spine (apprx 12) and for my joints (Aapprx 18) and the number of times I was put on to a Medrol pack, (rigid procedure for prednisone, the one long term impact it had on me was Cataracts. There are two types of cataracts. One that comes from old age and the other from medications, steroids being the number one offender. I had to have cataract surgery in 2011. But honestly, that was the best surgery I have every had.. Going from 20/200 to 20/20 overnight said it all

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: [email protected]
  • You do have to be careful with steroids if your diabetic as well. I started a Medrol pack yesterday. My blood sugar was 350 2 hours after lunch and I felt like crap. After drinking a gallon of water and eating an apple (hi fiber) I started feeling better. ESI's did not help me but facet joint injections usually do.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Rare side effect of steroid shots-Addison's disease

• advertisement
  • I feel the same way. I just had my 6th one since March just last week. It was a repeat of the si injection I had done in September. These are the only ones I've had any slight relief from. I'm good now with walking short distances and the pain shooting down my leg has lessened, but sitting still kills me and working. I teach preschool so I'm and down and bending all day so the relief is only short lived. And than when I have pt after work I'm down and out for the rest of the night. The last si injection worked great for the first week once I got relief but than it all came back and I felt worse than before it! The only thing left at this point is a nerve block and than the ablation if the block works, but I'm just glad they finally found the source! I'm hoping this one lasts, but I haven't had much luck with esi's this past year so I'm not holding my breath!

• After my latest ESI, I broke out in zits on my face...I thought I outgrew those in my early twenties!

• 0304 - that's not uncommon when getting steroids. Some people really get them bad on their backs when taking steroids.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
advertisement