Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Can anyone tell me about pain symptoms and disc issues

Is there a map that can tell you which disc is having issues by where the symptoms are?

I have one doctor tell me its the L4-L5 and the other doctor saying L5-S1. Anyone

I have am having pain on outside of thigh, outside of calf, and big toe numbness, as well as numbness on outside of calf.

Thanks,

advertisement

Comments

• There is a dermatome map which gives an idea what nerves are affected at each level. I also believe it is a general guide. As your two levels are next to each other you would require more testing. Have patience, find a good dr you trust.

Good luck

dmo

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,638

Here is a copy of a dermatome map. Its good as a guideline, but the pinpointed disc location and problem area would be for the doctor to formally diagnose and identify.

Some of these maps and other layouts are not always 100% accurate. That is lets say if you have a problem at C8 that could mean some tingling, numbness on your left hand pinky. That may be true, in my case it is, but I know from reading some of the other maps, the point of pain is not always consistent with the disc number.

The Spinal cord is so complex, I doubt if any one tool could identify everything without a mistake.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: [email protected]
  • advertisement
  • hurtcathhurtcat Posts: 1
    edited 11/19/2017 - 3:47 AM

Hi,

Have you gotten an MRI? If so that would be pretty easy to see. [edit]

Edited by Liz, Spine-health Moderator There are no medical professionals on the forum so members are not permitted to give an opinion on another members diagnosis

• MRI Shows ruptured Disc at L4/L5 and L5/S1, Surgeon did Microdiscectomy on L4/L5, I asked him to double check the MRI before surgery, and he did, From the dermatome maps everything tells me where my pain is it is the L5/S1. Surgeon said the pain I was feeling was L4/L5, I said well you are the neurosurgeon do what you think. I woke up from surgery 100% pain free of sciatic pain. Was a pain level 9 for six weeks before surgery. Was off Pain meds same day of surgery and have not taken even an aspirin, advil or anything for pain. Level is a 1, now and that is from the incision and just the stuff he had to cut and move. Super glad I found this guy and trusted him. 3 weeks post op appointment on Monday. Still have some toe numbness but 99% better. Thanks for all you guys advice.

• @toprank - Did you have surgery between 11/16 (your first post) and now? I have the same problems as you and disc bulge at same location that you have your ruptured one. I am wondering if surgery is an option for me (meet with the neuro friday). If so, I am happy to see positive posts about successful surgeries. I can only hope one day I will be as pain free as you seem to be post op!

• advertisement
  • I had surgery on November 20th a Monday. This past Monday was 4 weeks. So far so good. Doctor knew what he was doing I guess. I still have some weird feeling in both legs below the knee like not getting good circulation, so I assume that has something to do with the L5/S1 disc but the sciatic pain is 99% gone. Some low back pain on both sides but that was expected. If my pain was not a 9 out of 10 I would have waited on surgery, but I could not walk or stand or really do anything but drag myself to work park right by the door sit and work then leave. It sucked so bad for those 5 weeks. Let me know what the neuro says and if you do get scheduled for surgery and have any questions let me know.

advertisement