Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Recovery after Cervical Disc Replacement Surgery

I’m one week post op after having had cervical disc replacement surgery on november 16, 2017. The surgeon used the Mobi-C implant for two levels, between C4 and C5, and between C5 and C6. Im doing well ovrall, My incision site in the front of my neck has very little pain, but the “healing pain” the medical people talked about is pretty intense at times as the interior swelling comes and goes and as the nerves heal up. I wanted to share my experience with this recovery process, because I can find little in the way of actual documented patient experience,
advertisement

Comments

• Thanks. I don't know about Mobi-C. i had an old fashion fusion about 2 years ago.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,433

FloridaKat1

Welcome to Spine-Health

We would gladly welcome any shared experiences with your recovery. A lot of time, that's what members are looking for, what the recovery process is like. You have a very good title to your discussion, easy for members to find.

Please click on the Welcome link below and the Tutorial for more information on the forum.
    Welcome to Spine Health

Take care and thank you for sharing this.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • advertisement
  • Hello.I am 5 days post op.c4-6 with hardware.this healing process have been excrutiating for me. I never had arm pain or shoulder pain pre surgery, now I'm woken out my sleep to throbbing radiating pain that started in between my shoulder blades but have since traveled down my right arm...do anyone know of this is normal.?

• I’m 4 days post op for ADR with Mobi C on one level (C5/C6) and feel GREAT!

Went in after months of severe neck and shoulder pain, a 30% reduction in grip strength on my right hand/arm, tingling and numbness in right thumb and index finger, and constant neck tightness and pain.

I’m ecstatic to say that other than day 2 post op being miserable, day 3 and day 4 has been pain med free and pain free! I’m driving short distances, I walk a couple miles a day. I sleep great. I only use a soft collar maybe 2 hours a day when my neck gets tired or feels over stressed to help ease tension and prevent spasms.

Swallowing was like having strept throat day 1 and 2, but since then I can eat anything. I feel very confident that my doctor did a stand up job and already did light exercises in the gym!

From what I anticipate, this will be a 2 or 3 week recovery process for me before I can even think about anything athletic other than super basic low stress stretches and light dumbbell and cable work in the gym. Most likely 2 months plus before even chipping and putting out on the golf course. Probably 2-3 months before getting back to normal in the gym with regular weights.

It’s a process and we need to trust our doctors, follow their advice and most importantly take care of our bodies and use COMMON SENSE when deciding what to do and what not to do based on our own INDIVIDUAL Healing schedule.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,365
    PATIENCE!
    Recovery, the most important phase

Variables that effect the recovery process
    • Area of surgery (lumbar, thoracic, cervical)
    • Type of surgery (ACDF, PLIF, ALIF, Laminectomy, etc)
    • Length of surgery
    • Any damage to any spinal nerves
    • Overall physical condition of the patient prior to surgery
    • How the patient deals with the recovery (100% compliance to all limitations to 0% compliance)
    • Family environment (live by yourself, have help, stairs, no stairs, etc)
    • etc
    As you can see, there are so many different things that come into play when you are talking about any spinal surgery recovery timeframe. When you have any questions, you should always ask your doctor.

They would have been the ones that set the initial timeline...
    • Physical Therapy
    • Walking
    • Driving
    • Back to work
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: [email protected]
  • advertisement
  • FloridaKat1, thank you for sharing your experience! I am having 2 level mobi-c ADR surgery at c5/6 and c6/7 tomorrow morning. I appreciate reading about you healing experiences and success post-op. I am hopeful!

Merry Christmas,

Mary

• Merry Christmas to you. We'll be thinking about you and your surgery today. Don't forget to get back to us on your after-surgery progress

• Hi! I am 2 years out from a C4-6 Mobi-C replacement and doing amazing!! It was definitely one of the best decisions I have ever made. My arm pain went away and hasn’t returned since.

L4/5/S1 scar tissue removal surgery, plus unexpected L4/5 microdiscectomy #2 October 2015
    L4/5 microdiscectomy May 2015
    2-level ADR C4-6 (Mobi-C) February 2015
  • Thank you all for sharing your experiences with the Mobi C replacement. I'm a surgical candidate for having 2 discs being replaced which are herniated into my spinal cord. There is not a lot of information out there about recovery from this type of surgical disc replacement. Thank you to everyone for their comments. I really appreciate it, as I'm having a lot of stress over getting this done. I have no choice about getting surgery to get these discs off of my spinal cord. I am more upset to think about plating and fusion and stressing out other discs with hardware. Thanks, again and good luck to all in healing.

advertisement