Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

ACDF 3-5 choking feeling

advertisement

Comments

• @jerseygirl0211  I quit taking pain meds day four after my surgery. What about you? The swallowing problem is getting better but now I'm concerned about my incision. The stitches ripped internally and now I'm sure the scar is going to be worse because it's ripped open.

I had my 2 week post op appointment Tuesday and they did bloodwork to make sure I didn't have an infection... the results came back normal. How is everything going for you so far?

• Happily, the choking sensation has abated, and the swallowing issues are barely noticeable (mostly just when I take pills, not something I ever had problems with in the past.)

• advertisement
  • Yes! It’s the oddest thing. I had posterior C3-7 fusion in 2008. Apparently it took a slew of docs to discover c6-7 had never fused properly. I had anterior c6-7 fusion 8 days ago (01/03/18) and it’s like my esophagus just up and flows in reverse momentarily. It almost feels like a big gut wrenching belch is slowly working its way up, only no air is involved. Just the wretched feeling brewing and slowly (and often times painfully) makes its way to the back of my throat/inner ear area. I asked my NS’s PA about it yesterday and was told it’s pretty normal and should right itself within 2-3 weeks post op. I was told many patients find drinking thicker liquids to be the trick. My throat spasms have dimmed in intensity and frequency the last couple of days, I’m hoping the same is happening for everyone else. My mother had anterior c3-7 and never experienced this reaction. It’s from being intubated, which still baffles me as I was only intubated for 60 minutes with this surgery, but upwards of 4-5 hours with previous surgeries. Houdini could do this at will, fyi. It’s how he would hide the key to his many locks and shackles.