Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

im going round in cirles - please help

Hi everyone, i am new to the group and am trying to find some understanding of my pain.

I had a bad experience several years ago in a speed boat where i was thrown around and ended up injuring my neck.

Since then i have experienced a massive amount of pain during long periods of standing, really tight back muscles, loss and or blurred vision, loss of hearing and tinitus along with bouts of vertigo. I have been to my chiropractor who in the short term has helped (or not, im not sure) and i have also been to see my GP/GM. I was referred to another doctor who thought it might be an inner ear problem but i am convinced i have really damaged something and thought id put it out there and see if anyone can shed light on what has become a dark place for me.

Doctors tell me i have possibly damaged from C3 to T3, i have pain all down my back and i am now taking so much time off work i am getting worried.

Can you help me out.

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 8,914
    edited 12/09/2017 - 3:00 PM

Hello Vlehel

Please click on the link for useful information Welcome to Spine-Health

All new members should take the System Tutorial

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 274

@Vlehel - Has any doctor ordered any diagnostic tests for you (MRIs, Cat Scans, x-rays, etc). From your description of your accident, it sounds like you took whiplash of the neck. From my own experience, whiplash symptoms can show up many years after an accident. If you have not had a consultation with a spinal doctor (my opinion, chiropractors don't count), please get an evaluation.

• advertisement
  • Amen, Nutcase007; after my rear-ending accident caused by a drunk driver in 1990, who slammed into me at a red light without stopping! I had a terrible whip-lash recovery; in that, I did not get proper treatment at the time. But things settled down for a few years, but OMG it has been the last 8 years that I've really felt the effects: Stenosis, multiple bulging discs, arthritis, bone spurs -- all MRI/X-Ray documented. No wonder I could never get life insurance after the accident; insurance companies know that spinal injuries almost always cause future/permanent injury - duh. My only option after visiting an orthopaedic surgeon for advice said he could'nt do surgery re: my chronic pain, was to go to a pain management clinic and gave me referrals. So here I am. Multiple steroidal injections, facet joint injections, nerve-burning what's it called? Rhyzotomy?? And here I am week three after nerve burning, and I am in so much discomfort.

God Bless all we spinal pain sufferers!

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 274

@Wilgirl52 - Question, did the orthopedic surgeon explain why he/she "couldn't" do surgery? There are reason I ask, give my experience documented following.

After my second cervical fusion in March of 2014, my pain and lose of cervical control was worse than ever. The whiplash "accident" that has caused all of my neck problems was back in 1978. I've been told since my March, 2014 surgery, there was nothing more to do for me. After 10 second opinions and years of pestering the neurosurgeon, I was just told five days ago by my neurosurgeon that my last unfused cervical joint in my lower neck has deteriorated so bad that he thinks he can finally get insurance approval for surgery a third fusion. He blames the insurance company as to why he could not get approval after my March, 2014 surgery.

Thanks (sic) insurance company for the lose of my career and years of living hell!

As an aside, back in 2014 when I had my second fusion, I had begged then to have the rest of my lower cervical spine fused (C3 to C7). Guess what, insurance wouldn't allow that option either even though my lower cervical spine already was diagnosed as "severely compromised". Am I bitter about insurance? I think the answer is very obvious. Just to think that because of the insurance company games, they ended up paying for addition medical costs over the years instead of letting the surgeon do his job years ago. In addition, I went from a tax paying worker to a person on disability and I lost my career.

The best Christmas present I could get at this point would be insurance approval for this third fusion procedure.

• I injured my neck nearly five years ago, and also sought the advice of several medical professionals. I had xrays, MRI's, epidurals, CT scans, visited two chiropractors, among other things.... Very recently I visited a Neurosurgeon as what I thought was my last ditch attempt at a solution. Leaving my second appointment, there was no solution. I then chose to visit a NUCCA certified chiropractor recommended by a friend. In short, after some measurements, and a couple of xrays, he did an "atlas subluxation" correction on my neck. I knew instantly that something had happened as the tightness in the muscles attached to the back of my skull relaxed immediately, after having been tight every waking moment for the past five years. I would not have believed it had I not experienced it myself.

This may not be the cause of your issues, but if nothing else has been found, I would certainly look into it. I had suffered through just about every symptom listed for "whiplash" that you find out there. After having this procedure done about two weeks ago, which took about 1 minute, and during which I felt absolutely nothing, other than light pressure on my neck, I have started doing more research and found some very interesting information regarding "Atlas subluxation."

• advertisement
advertisement