Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Should i have Neck surgery

I'e been having pain in my neck and shoulders. and numbing in both my hands for a while.i ended up having a nerve test done and MRI. Unfortunately the results weren't good. I have a bone spur in my c5, c6 bulging disk and c7 has spinal stenosis. I have swelling and inflammation, which is adding to the pinching of my nerves and blood flow. I' only 35 and don' really what to go under the knife. Is there anything I can try, to help any of this. The doctors say surgery is my only optin....

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,107

Hello mgiebelhouse

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
    This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Please click on the link for useful information Welcome to Spine-Health

All new members should take the System Tutorial

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,437

Hi mgiebelhouse!

Does your doctor have you on anything for inflammation? Besides the steroid shots I get for inflammation I'm on a regiment of a low does anti inflammatory medicine.
    No one wants to have surgery but sometimes you don't want to create more problems either. Another thing is maybe get a second opinion. Sometimes that will help us make a decision.
    Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • advertisement
  • Just ibuprofen, for inflammation. I have gotten a second opinion. But with the same, results. Sugery

• Mgiebelhouse, You asked a question, that honestly only YOU know the answer to. It’s a life changing surgery that can’t be undone once it’s done. Certain things to consider though are the symptoms so bad it interferes with your daily life? Are there other options that the MD recommended such as PT, injections, etc..etc..Another thing to consider is the longer you wait, the chance of permanent nerve damage increases. It’s a hard decision and again yes it IS life changing! I had a unsuccessful fusion of C-5 through C-7 3 years ago and I can tell you how my life has changed. I am now Disabled, I’m now a chronic pain pt. I was medically retired from a career I loved. But remember, There are also some positive outcomes! But again, the final answer can only be made by you! Good luck and keep us posted!

• The decision to have my first cervical surgery was incredibly difficult to make. Mine was more out of necessity and I was absolutely terrified. Thought my life was over. But I am still here, working full time, supporting a family of five, and dropping a line in the water when I can.

As far as avoiding the surgery, your docs are your best bet as they have the most experience in these things. I am just a patient. I tried everything for months with no luck, but others do have luck with non invasive treatments.

Talk to as many people as you can, listen to other people’s experiences, and then make a decision based on all of the data you can collect. No matter what you decide, just be good with it. I am facing another very difficult decision right now for another surgery and it is never easy. If you do choose the surgery route, you will face challenges, but we humans are tough and we adjust.

As DavidG mentions, focus on the positives no matter how small they may seem. Good luck to ya.

• advertisement
  • Of all the medical professionals that I visited, not one ever made any mention of “atlas subluxation.” I am here to tell you that a simple procedure has given me my lfe back. I know this may not be a solution, or the issue for many, but I truly brlieve it is worth looking into as it is non invasive and simple. I have had nearly all the symptoms of “whiplash” for the past five years, and got a new lease on life because of this.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
advertisement