Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain After L4-5 Microdecompression

Good Afternoon,

Still having burning pain down back of left leg 3 days post-op.. Surgeon said removal of large sharp bone spur. He said to expect pain to return and come and go since the nerve was so irritated. I am trying not to get frustrated, but really no consistent relief yet.

Anyone with similarities?

Warm regards,

Reddog53

advertisement

Comments

• Could anyone please respond?

Thànk you!

• Have you been able to get a second MRI after the procedure? Please let us know, thank you.

ThoracicFire

• advertisement
  • Oh and one question please. You mentioned the pain is down the back of your leg, is it a stabbing shooting pain or just burning?

ThoracicFire

• @Thoracicfire,

No MRI. Due to the current fire situation and 3.5 hour drive, I will be doing a photo and phone post-op on Monday.

Currently, burning just as before. The surgical staff and surgeon reiterated that the pain will cycle up and down due to the fact that the nerve was constantly "poked" by the bone spur that was jagged and very rough.

Trying to stay positive. I know that I will not be ready to return to work after 7 days.

Warm regards,

Reddog53

• ThoracicfireThoracicfire Posts: 21
    edited 12/11/2017 - 5:47 AM

Take your time and be patient with your body. Get as much rest as you can. Everything will be okay! It sounds like you have a very good medical team with you. Have they given you medication after the procedure for the nerve pain?

• advertisement
  • @Thoracicfire,

No nerve medication. Pain and muscle relaxants. I only took those for the first 3 days, then tapered off. Sent one week post-op photos this morning. Awaiting a phone call follow-up. Thank you for your response!

Warm regards,

Reddog53

• Please let us know how it goes! And good luck o:) :)

ThoracicFire

• Hi there, I had micro discectomy L4/5 on 7/12. I still have terrible burning & shooting pains in my foot. I’m really hoping that with time it will heal but just want to feel a noticeable small improvement to encourage me - but so far nothing :-(

• Is yours any better ThoracicFire?

• IceFairy,

I have same symptoms as you but located in the thoracic area, the middle portion of the spine. The burning or shooting could be your L4/L5 intervertebral disc pressing on the nerve routes that run along your body. The only thing that helps get rid of the pain is lying down and being completely flat and lower back strengthening through physical therapy. Can you please let me know if anything has helped you? I understand this is very difficult for you guys, I'm here in case anyone needs the support!

ThoracicFire

advertisement