Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Triathlete with chronic piriformis

Im a 41 year old woman who has suffered with right “piriformis syndrome” and nerve pain on right side for 5 plus years. I’ve had MRIs, physical therapy, dry needling, massages, gone without exercise, continued my exercise... you name it I’ve tried it. I’ve just recently tried myofascial release therapy. My question is: does anyone else who tries to stretch out your piriformis with given exercises, end up irritating your nerve that much more? I’ve tried yoga and those poses are such a good feeling stretch at the time, but holy moly, it kills that evening and my right butt cheek and sit bone are on fire! Any suggestions? People suffering long term with this?

advertisement

Comments

• Hi deniseknight777

Welcome to Spine-health

I have added two links below to help new members with information and these also contain the forum rules. There is lots of material to research that will give you the power of knowledge.

Welcome to Spine Health

AJ

AJGormit
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • ArizonaAArizona ArizonaPosts: 69

Denise -. Same here. Stretching feels good enough, but stretching the sciatic nerve on the back of my thigh makes my pain much worse afterwards.

• advertisement
  • sundeepssundeep Posts: 1
    edited 12/14/2017 - 1:47 PM

• Denise, I've been too suffering from chronic piriformis pain for past 2.5 years. My pain flares up on prolonged sitting. I don't get sciatic pain while strecthing my piriformis. Avoid foam rolling on the sciatic nerve path. Did you ever tried strengthening core/gluteal muscles and flossing sciatic nerve? I think bad posture is the root cause of this chronic condition.

• are you 100% sure it's piriformis? You mention you had an MRI. If a disc is bulging/herniated, in my experience, piriformis stretches exacerbate the pain the following day. My PT actually recommended piriformis stretches, but they always made my situation worse. I think i had a combination of piriformis and with 1 herniated and 1 bulging disc. Learning not to "grip" your glutes while standing helped me with glute pain. Good luck

• advertisement
advertisement