Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

spine doc gave ibuprofen

DefinitelyCursedDefinitelyCursed Posts: 5
edited 12/10/2017 - 2:18 PM in Chronic Pain

this [edit] is worthless - can i call up and tell him to give me some Oxycontin?

Edited by Liz, Spine-health Moderator Removed offensive language

advertisement

Comments

• Have you tried Lyrica? Unless you’ve had surgery recently you’re unlikely to receive Schedule 2/3 meds from a neurologist/neurosurgeon.

Are you in pain management? If you have chronic pain which presents a major hindrance to your daily life you should discuss pain management with your PCP or spinal doc.

• i never had pain after surgery and i have extreme knife stabbing sciatica in my left leg to where a half hour to 45 minutes of standing means i need to lie down or my whole left leg is useless to me and painful stiff burning squeezing pain in my right leg and im telling my doc to prescribe me medical marijuana tomorrow since im in maryland

• advertisement
  • peanut006peanut006 MichiganPosts: 6

"Telling" your doctor anything isn't very likely to help you. Talking honestly about your pain, the way in which it's restricting you and your life and work, what you've done to try to relieve it in your own (heating pad, ice, hot showers/baths, stretches, etc) and asking your doctor what he/she can do to help improve your quality of life will be far more affective. There's a lot of things that can help outside of medications as well. If you haven't read "the blend" on this site yet i would definitely recommend it. It has a great deal of helpful information on the many things we spinal patients do to help alleviate some of our pain.

• DefinitelyCursedDefinitelyCursed Posts: 5
    edited 12/10/2017 - 9:45 PM

yeah thats nice but i dont see a doctor would deny me weed if i said i want weed for my pain.. what exactly is his argument to disagree? he works for me so im not there to kiss his (edit for language-implied)

"Rule11.01 You agree not to submit or post material that is vulgar, obscene or otherwise objectionable in any manner or nature to forums on Spine-health.com. This includes the use of #$%@ or XXXX

Last Articles:
    X as a means to hide foul language."

The moderator team reserves the right to edit any post

• peanut006peanut006 MichiganPosts: 6

Yes, our doctors do "work for us"... but they're not McDonald's. We're not there to place our order. That would make them drug dealers, not doctors. We go see them so they can use their wealth of education and experience to hopefully fix what is wrong with us at best, and to help treat our symptoms if a fix can't be found at worst. That's why I suggested simply talking to your doctor about your quality of life and the pain and how that pain is limiting you and then allow them to use that vast education to hopefully find what they can to help you. And for some doctors that absolutely does not include strong pain medication. There is a risk vs reward they have to do with any treatment they recommend and for some, the risks of pain medication far outweighs the reward... but if you give your doctors a chance they will try and help you, but they're not likely to just give something specific simply because you want it. And if they are aware of the family history you mentioned with your mother on a previous post, your predisposition for possibly having a problem may make them want to avoid anything to strong for obvious reasons... but they still have many many options in their arsenal to help improve your quality of life and pain levels. Therapy, physical therapy, massage, heat, water therapy, injections, tens unit, etc etc etc... I'm sure if you let them they'll definitely find something to help you!!!

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,365

DefinitelyCursed

Boy everytime I read any of your discussions or comments you are sense you as a very angry person.

Nutcase gave you good advice, you never tell a doctor what you what. You need to be working with your doctor to identify the best combination of medications to help you. Not all the same medications work the same on different people That included opioids and legalized marijuana.

DefinitelyCursed said:

he works for me so im not there to kiss

I sure hope you were not saying that the doctor WORKS for YOU!

That attitude is not going to get you anwhere

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: [email protected]
  • Lyrica?

• I posted Lyrica as the first reply above. IMO it’s worth a shot for nerve pain. I tried it for 30 days and didn’t notice a change (improvement) in pain.

But I know it has helped and continues to help many people. I could tolerate Lyrica just fine (though it didn’t seem to improve my pain) but I couldn’t tolerate Gabapentin (incredibly powerful, unrelenting sleepiness).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • r1154, what is your diagnosis and symptoms? Thanks. Still looking for that "quote" button here...

advertisement