Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Dealing with flare-ups

I am a regular poster here even if not so often currently.

I have a back surgery done 15 years ago.

I am for exercising without pain, never through pain and this way I manage to keep flare-ups away

You should not assume that I do not have pain. I have back pain in upper back right side and since last six months was only there even if before use to go down on leg.

After this long introduction I have to say that I have a nasty flare-up just now, coming from nowhere . I just had my routine program with regular morning/evening back exercises plus morning/ evening walking, but gradually pain start to build up

I do not recall a specific movement. Well I did a bit of cleaning in the house but also normal way without bending, lifting, twisting. What is bellow my reach is done by another member of my family. I also have a reacher to pick up things from the floor

Anyhow flare-up set big time and now I have a lot of pain. There is a dull pain when lying, sitting or standing and a more acut pain at any position change when lying or sitting. My leg seems also heavier

Now the question. HOW MUCH MOVMENT IS ALLOWED IN FLARE-UP?

This of course is against my philosophy about not exercising through pain

But still avoiding movement for long time is also not good for the back

And I DID SEE A DOCTOR . The doctor prescribed me NSAID injection (I insisted for something stronger than pills), electro therapy, Physiotherapy.

Physiotherapy session I scheduled end of next week while I cannot do anything as I am now.

Should we consider it earlier? The doctor did let me to decide

Until I will be able to start physiotherapy should I consider

- mostly staying in bed

- alternate bed with sitting with standing

- doing light exercises even if painful

I am also considering ice packs

WHAT IS YOUR STRATEGY IN FLARE-UPS?

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,365

This is the way I've dealt with most of my flareups

• Alternate use of heat and ice
    • OTC NSAID
    • Inflammation ointments
    • walking
    • some more bed rest

I also tend to wait out a flare up for a week to 3 weeks. As long as the flareup does not get worse, waiting it out always seemed to be the best option. When flareups last more than 3 weeks, I start to get the doctors more involved.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: [email protected]
  • I almost never stay in bed, I think it makes things worst. I do spend a lot of time in my recliner as it adjust on several levels so I can get as comfortable as possible. I get up and move around about every hour, and for sure every two hours-forced to do, lol, by two dogs that seem to need a bathroom break often.

• advertisement
  • I agree with Ron. Walk! It was the one thing I could do immediately after surgery. It also gave my morale a big boost, along with a sense of accomplishment.

• catapamcatapam AustriaPosts: 157

OK,

My flare-up is over

I did anti-inflammatory injections in painful area for 4 days. Continuing with dexIbuprofen and Doreta(tramadol+paracetamol) for next days

Electrotherapy with ultrasounds for 10 days

Ice pads alternate with a home TENS unit I have. Every 2 hours I am sitting on my belly with pillow under chest that will slightly arch my back for 10 gradually moving to 20 min, using cold pack or TENS in painful area. This exercise help me a lot with both back and leg pain.

Moving around once pain is tolerable every 2 hours, 1 hour, as pain becomes less.

Resuming my back exercises very gradually with limit in some stretches. In fact here is the key, about understanding how to progress. Lack of exercises or overdoing it are both wrong. My opinion of course

Now I am drug free and almost back to my daily routine. Hope next flare-up will not be too soon

Anyhow I still have a constant dull back pain and sometimes also leg pain on right side that is not going away. This pain is my friend for last 1,5 years. Last neurosurgeon I visited six months ago told me that I may need a new surgery at one moment in time

• jonisingt35rjjonisingt35r Posts: 165
    edited 12/25/2017 - 11:00 AM

What anti imflam injections do you do, I only ask as I have just started to take naxophine an anti. Inflammatory drug I'm sure it is helping

Also when do you know you have inflation?

Thanks

• advertisement
  • catapamcatapam AustriaPosts: 157

@jonisingt35r Unfortunately I forgot. It was some NSAID that doctor inject me around painful area.

In case of flare-up, you usually get an inflammation in you spine that will irritate the nerve

advertisement