Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Sciatica

Hi everyone,

I have recently been diagnosed with sciatica, not sure of what’s causing it yet as waiting for an MRI.

My question is, some people are telling me to see an osteopath, but is it safe to do so before I know the cause of the sciatica?

Thanks in advance

Karen

advertisement

Comments

• Hi popsie

Welcome to Spine-health

There are no medical professional on this site, so any answers received will be other members personal experiences and should be viewed in that way.

We advised members seek medical advice, so you have started this already. It may be better to wait until you know what you dealing with.

Over the years I have used an osteopath. This was before my surgeries and before I devdloped any numbness or foot drop. At this point I was referred to my surgeon.

If you click on my username name you can see my history.

I have added two links below to help new members with information and these also contain the forum rules. There is lots of material to research that will give you the power of knowledge.

Welcome to Spine Health

AJ

AJGormit
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,437

I agree with Aj, wait to see what you are dealing with through the MRI. Below is a link to a very good article on sciatica.

Sciatica Treatment

Please keep us posted regarding your MRI.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • advertisement
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 428

In my opinion, sciatica really isn't a diagnosis, it is more of a symptom of something else. It is best you ask the questions until you get to the source of the symptoms. In my experience it is the sciatic nerve being impinged in one of two places. In my case it was the lumbar discs impinging the nerve. I had bulging / herniated discs. Continuing on with my analytical mindset I had to find out why my discs bulged. Looking at the x-rays it was easy to see the vertebrae were compressing the discs. But why were the vertebrae compressing? I learned that the spine is one bone, but one that is segmented. Why consider it one bone? Because whatever happens to one region is relayed to the other regions of the spine. Think of the spine as a whip. As you snap the whip, the motion runs through the entire whip. The same is true of the spine. Anyway, my point about this is that since the spine is a segmented bone it has to be allowed to state that muscle moves bone. The argument can then be made that muscles could be the true cause of the symptoms of sciatica. Not the bulging discs. Not the compressing vertebrae. Remember, muscle moves bone. Unless there has been a traumatic injury, bones don't just go where they feel like.

Why would muscles just decide to make the bones become misaligned? Well, muscles react to the information we give them. They respond to the majority of the functions we perform through our daily routine. Since we as a society sit most of the time we have retrained our muscles to now function accordingly. Some muscles grow dominant, and others grow dormant. Essentially we have muscle imbalances. This became ever true me and my situation as I started doing exercises to allow my muscles to relax, or release their tensions. At the same time I will perform exercises that isolate specific muscles and engage them so they "awaken" and teach themselves they are actually needed to perform their intended purpose. Four months later, voila! No more sciatica!!

Well......it worked for me anyway:)

• i wouldnt. my GP did the classic "leg raise" test (( google it) and was able to diagnose a herniated disc. He sent me to a physiatrist who ordered an MRI ( they are almost always denied by insurance until you have physical therapy and take pain meds for a month at least). If your leg test is negative, it could be pirformis syndrome. Dont see a Chiropractor or ANY Dr that does "adjustments". Ive heard of many people having a slight disc bulge being "adjusted" into having a herniated disc that requires surgery.

• advertisement
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 428

True, and I don't believe any chiropractic adjustment will magically make a bulge go away. Muscle moves bone, so if a chiropractic adjustment is done, it is done to the bones, but what has it done to the muscles?

• I think a lot depends on what type of pain you have and where the pain is and how bad is the pain. Great information above. In my case doctors by passed PT based on the MRI and went straight to surgery but I was at a pain level 9, sleeping 2 hours at most a night and could not walk or stand, I crawled around my house for a month before I found this guy. Did surgery and was at a pain level 1 that day. Off all pain meds that night. Have not taken even an aspirin or advil since. So far so good 4 weeks this past Monday but doing nothing but walking for rehab for 6 weeks then going to start some PT. MRI wil

advertisement