Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

HOT INFO - Pain Medication Change January 1 2018 - anyone else heard this?

advertisement

Comments

• well, I’m worried because CVS is in the process of buying Aetna and will be done by 2nd qtr next year. Being under Aetna, I’m worried that CVS will require all Aetna members to use their pharmacies (why wouldn’t they?). I would just as soon slit my wrists than have to deal with CVS’s new policies...not good at all. Here in east TN, many don’t even carry a lot of the opiates and make it really hard on you if you need a monthly supply...just unbelievable

I’m hoping that they will just have it where the costs are a little lower if you use them as opposed to another pharmacy...we’ll see

• Ron - Thanks for that info, I put this out there to see what other people had found out, for all of us knowledge is power and the more information we have the better off we are. At the end of the day as long as long as my pain is somewhat being controlled I will be happy.

Cindy - also thanks for input as well.

Hope you both have a great weekend.

Michael

• advertisement
  • nicky74nicky74 New York,NY Posts: 22
    edited 12/16/2017 - 7:05 AM

A few days ago,Wednesday 12/13 I had to call my insurance to verify something about my wife's treatment for BC and I had the opportunity to ask them for any changes to the medications for the next year for both of us. BTW, I'm in a chronic pain,failed ACDF fusion,L-spine L5-S1, SI joint, and more.anyway. I'm talking opiates ER Ms Contin(60)and IR oxycodone(90). There's no changes! The allow 2 ER(regardless of the strength)and 90mg (regardless of the quantity)IR per day. For anything more than that the doctor can request pre authorization. And that's CIGNA in New York.That was on Wednesday. Thursday I went to my pain management doctor for the monthly routine,injections and my monthly prescriptions. I asked him if there's any changes for prescribing opiates the next year. The answer was NO,everything is same. Yesterday,Friday I went to pick my medications from the pharmacy. It's chain called DUANE READ here in New York and it's Walgreens, I know the pharmacist for years and I asked him too if they have any restrictions,guidelines for the opiates. The answer was NO whatever the doctor prescribes they fill it as long the insurance covers it. This what it is here in NY state. It may be different in other states. I read a lot about the war on the opiates and I had the opportunity in three days to get information about that from everyone.My insurance ( Cigna),my pm doctor,and my pharmacist (Walgreens).

I hope this to be helpful and I also hope the same rules to apply everywhere for everyone who is in pain.

n.

• Nicky74 - thanks for that information. It does appear each state is different and my issue came from my insurance company directly. I will have a change with insurance next month so hopefully moving forward it will not be an issue. Again, thanks.

Michael

advertisement