Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L5 S1 disc protrusion with annular tear

ajhadsyaajhadsy Posts: 11
edited 01/10/2018 - 3:15 AM in Lower Back Pain

Hi all. Just looking for anyone out there from Australia that has had any type of artificial disc replacement in the lumbar spine, for an annular tear problem. Thanks. Adam

Please respond to this discussion.../forum/discussion/102283/pain/lower-back-pain/annular-tear-l5s1-really-testing-my-patience#latest

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

advertisement

Comments

• Hi Adam, I’m from America so things here may be different. My doctor wouldn’t give me a disc replacement for the lumbar area. Instead I’ve had two fusions. He said the lumbar replacement discs just aren’t up to par with the cervical ones that have come out. He’s sure there are good ones to come but he’s given me two lumbar fusions and avoided the replacement discs.

• Thanks for your msg. What exactly did you have on ur mri then?

• advertisement
  • Adam: I am in the states but this was my exact injury and diagnosis. I was hurt in 2005. Had a small annular tear to L5. Was told it was small enough to heal without surgery. Went through extensive physical therapy and was cleared for work. I was a police officer.

A month later, found that crippling pain in my back was caused by my duty belt with all my gear on it that cause the same disk to tear into five pieces. Had surgery to remove these. Had a surgery to put in a spacer desk. The butcher, I mean surgeon, inserted a spacer too small for my frame I am tall for a woman. It started to migrate towards my spine.

Surgery number three was a fusion. My huge, huge, huge, mistake was using my own graft of my bone for the fusion. I could not stomach the thought of a cadaver graft rejection and having to be opened up for a fourth time in four months. Fast forward 12 years, I am disabled with daily pain.

In 2010 I had an intrathecal morphine pump put in so that I could avoid taking opioids. This was a godsend. You do not feel the side effects of taking the medication. All was as good as could be expected until July 2017. Just found out that I have bone spurs, spinal stenosis and C-5 six and seven. I assume this is what's causing my blinding pain in my right arm and tinnitus so bad it keeps me up at night. I cannot even rest my right arm on the mattress.

Not sure what's going to happen. Whatever you do, if it comes to a fusion, do not use your own bone. The only successful fusions I have heard are those who used a cadaver graft. I am sure there are exceptions. My experience with the spacer desk was an awful one but that was back in 2006. Perhaps things have improved. Best of luck. By the way, should've said I'm only 50 that was 38 when I was injured. All the best of luck to you

Sorry so long

• Thankyou very much for your information i appreciate it

• LizLiz Posts: 9,107
    edited 01/10/2018 - 3:16 AM

I am closing this as it is a duplicate discussion

5.11 You agree not to make duplicate threads.

/forum/discussion/102283/pain/lower-back-pain/annular-tear-l5s1-really-testing-my-patience#latest

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.