Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

small piece of metal rod broke off during hardware removal and surgeon doesn't think it serious?

I had posterior hardware removed two years ago and have recently discovered from a ct scan a 3 mm piece of metal remaining in the back of my neck right at c-6,7 level. In 2013 I had a posterior fusion to c 5-7 as prior two anterior fusions did not fuse. After two solid years of severe pain I found out 2 of the pedicle screws were mal-positioned and causing nerve damage so I immediately had the hardware removed that was in 2015. Now it's 2 years later and I've been enduring torturous pain and muscle spasms, and fever in the back of my neck exactly in the spot where the metal was just found, but my surgeon says it's too small to be hurting me and that he decided not to remove it? What in the world? Can anyone tell me this sounds right? He says he would not even be able to find the metal in there as it's too small but it's sure large enough to see very clearly on the ct and looking back it's also seen on my x-ray a few months ago. Please, any advice would be appreciated on how serious this might be if not removed.

advertisement