Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Considering PRP treatment, looking for advice

edited 12/15/2017 - 12:46 PM in Lower Back Pain

Edit: If you're short on time, please skip to the last 2 paragraphs - the rest is mostly background. Thanks!

Hi there,

Short bio: male, 25 y.o, 1.68m tall, BW 58kg and in good health overall.

I've been suffering from constant lower back discomfort and some degree of pain/sensitivity since April of this year. While I'm a lot better at managing my pain at this point, I feel like I've made little to no progress as far as actual healing. It seems that the main 2 activities that caused accumulative damage to my spine were very long periods of sitting combined with highly intense/heavy deadlifts and squats. These lead me to develop a flexion intolerant back. I have since transitioned from sitting around 10-12 hours a day to sitting 1-2 hours a day (spread throughout), and squatting and deadlifting rarely with very light weight. These changes among a few others are very helpful in keeping the pain level at a minimum.

After getting 3 opinions from experts in total (spine, pain and radiologist) as well as doing extensive research on my own, it seems that my source of pain is discogenic. I have 2 bulging discs - L5-S1 and L4-L5, though the latter seems to be my main pain source and is more sensitive.

I am in no condition for surgery since I can perform daily tasks without issues generally speaking - walking up stairs, standing, sleeping, even running etc. However, I am very motivated to improve my quality of life and go back to having no pain or discomfort throughout the day - assuming I am applying proper "spine hygiene". I've been reviewing different options for speeding up the recovery process and PRP sounds like a viable option. Unfortunately I couldn't find a doctor who will perform PRP disc injections where I live (Israel). I've only found someone who will do Orthokine, but the price is very high and from what I read it isn't necessarily even a better option compared to PRP.

With that said, I am considering flying abroad for getting PRP treatment and wanted to hear some input from you guys/gals. I would prefer to have the whole procedure completed in 2-3 days but I can stay for 1-2 weeks if necessary. I've only had a CT scan done on my back; no MRI, though I should be able to get one if it's necessary for the diagnosis/procedure.

I would also like to hear recommendations for a professional clinic where I can get the procedure done in the Central/Western Europe area. If anyone is aware, please PM me with the details as I think it might be against the forum rules to publicly discuss specific clinics or doctors. Any advice/input will be highly appreciated, thanks for reading!

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,437

Hello ToBulge!
    Welcome to Spine-Health

If you go to the search box at the top right of the page and key in "prp" (as I did), you will find articles as well as other member's comments. This would be a good start while you are waiting for other member's to reply.

Please click on the Welcome link below and the System Tutorial for more information on the forum. We have a vast array of articles and videos on any topic.
    Welcome to Spine Health

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • I've only had a CT scan done on my back; no MRI, though I should be able to get one if it's necessary for the diagnosis/procedure.
    You’ll probably want an MRI versus CT (MRI is better for showing discs).

Tzrifin and Tel Aviv appear to have hospitals that do PRP.

Due to rules I can’t post the names of the hospitals. Just google “Israel platelet-rich plasma injections” and carefully examine your search results,

Hopefully you’re close to one of those cities.

• advertisement
  • L4_L5 is right. Not having an MRI done is the first thing you should do. In the US, took me about 30 days from scan to doc consult. Better to go conservative before doing anything more invasive or expensive.