Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Did I reherniate? Scared!

Hello I am 31 yr old male and I am 16 days post op of a l5 s1 microdiscectomy. I have been slowly getting more mobile. Walking a lot. Trying not to over do it. Today I was getting up (the proper way) from laying on the couch and spilled a drink! While still sitting on the edge of the couch I quickly bent forward and to the left to grab the mug. Very upset with myself. I felt a stretch in my back but no significant pop or shooting pain. Up until that I have not been bending at the waist. Now my back feels a little funny. Could I have reherniate from bending that one time or am I being a little too literal with the no bending post op?

advertisement

Comments

• Try to relax as your anxiety may tighten up all your muscles and make your back feel a little funny.

The way I have approach these worrying times is to think 'I cannot turn back the clock, so lets see where this goes'. If you have caused significant damage, you will feel the affects of that very soon.

You are working to rules of no bending and that takes the daily strain of the disc and allows it to heal. Your good practice has given it 16 days, which may have saved the day.

If you experience any new symptoms contact your medical team for advice.

Take care

AJ

AJGormit
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • Thank you so much AJ. So far no new alarming symptoms and just don't know how long it will take for the new symptoms to arise. Hopefully they don't. Hard for me not to think about it but I suppose I would feel something different by now?

• advertisement
  • Good luck dude I think I reherniated 4 days post op felt a crack and a sharp stab of pain. I've not even felt any benefit from the op! I'd been so careful as well.

Back to see the doc on Monday just counting down the time until then.

• That's terrible. I hope it works out. Did the pain and symptoms increase after the initial crack and sharp pain?

• Its stayed about the same since then it's difficult to tell as I hadn't seen a reduction in the leg pain after the op.

Out of curiosity did your leg pain go immediately after the op or take a while?

• advertisement
  • It was still there after the surgery but after a week it started to progress. I was very depressed that it didn't go away but once it started to do better it gave me hope. I still have leg pain and probably will for awhile from what I understand. Takes awhile for the inflammation to go down with the aggregated nerve. I just hope I keep progressing and didn't do any damage with that bend at the waist. Let me know how you make out at the doctor.

• Very little chance of 're herniation by a sharp movement i would have thought. I had some heavy sneezing sessions post op and was worried sick but fortunately no issues at all. The thing that sent me backwards with progress was an over enthusiastic physio. Had me doing far too advanced exercises 6 weeks post procedure. A pop sound from my back sent shivers down my spine but an MRI showed inflammation and swelling but no 're herniation fortunately. Trying to recover back to where I was however has proven difficult, slow and very painful. Time is the healer apparently. We shall see. Nest of luck and defo relax as getting uptight and tensing the muscles can cause more pain than you can imagine.

• Thanks arlester for the positivity I need. I think your right. I have to try not to be so hard on myself.

• 1st surgery in February of 2016 was a lamenectomy L4/L5. 5days later got up out of a chair from getting my hair cut and fully herniated. So 14 days after 1st surgery I have the microdiscectomy. Doctor says chances are very slim of me ever reherniating that disc again. Just reherniated again 3 months ago. Doctor says that I am the unluckiest patient he’s had. Oh well, I am 2 weeks post-op from 3rd surgery. Just mostly muscle pain. I will take that over the sciatica any day.

• That is very unfortunate. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm guessing each time you herniated you knew immediately? I'm still 3 weeks away from my post op appointment and it just seems my recovery has platued.

advertisement