Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

For anyone that understands.

Hello! My name is Emily and I am 23 years old. I am glad I found a place like this so I can talk and get support from people that deal with the same things that I do.

In 2013, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia after years of going back and forth to doctors and trying to find answers. Even though that has been their diagnosis, the doctor even didn't believe fully that this is the condition that I had. And every doctor since have said the same thing, yet they have done different blood tests and can't find anything out of wack, or see anything really off in my MRI or X-Rays. Once, a doctor said they saw something after an X-Ray, that one of my disc was off or something, but they were charging me $3,000 just to get their specific treatment.

I want to be specific about what has actually been happening and why I, and other doctors, don't think it's Fibromyalgia, and want to get y'alls opinions. In high school, after a few years of intense workout and boxing, I started to experience pain in my left arm and wrist. I went to the doctor and received an X-Ray, they told me that my radius bone in my arm was bigger than my ulna and the only way to fix it was to get surgery. Being 13 at the time I didn't want to go through that. I continued to workout and then started to have intense pain in my left side of my stomach area where I couldn't walk sometimes or breath. Once I stopped working out as much then that pain subsided.

That's when the left shoulder blade in my back and my left arm continued to have pain. That's when I started to see different doctors to get a more clarified answer as to why. The pain in my left shoulder blade feels like someone is constant stabbing me all day long. Then that pain goes from there to my neck and down my left arm, to my pinky and ring finger. It's that numbing and tingling and stabbing pain, a constant feeling that wont calm down. As the pain progressed and I got no relief it went down to my left hip and leg. I would ice it ever night just so I could get some relief to sleep.

Because I was experiencing "widespread" pain and couldn't find anything specific for the reason, they told me Fibromyalgia and gave me Lyrica. As I'm sure others that have taken this medicine know, it's an intense drug. The first week of taking it I would wake up and feel like I was drugged or drunk. After some time I got use to it, even though a month being on it I experienced such pain and bad headaches that I took myself to the ER. They decided they couldn't do anything for me and gave me 4 different drugs to take to "help".

Here is the thing, I am very sensitive to drugs and the side effects are so bad usually that I have to stop the drugs. I eventually after 3 years of being on Lyrica, and still not getting but a little relief, I got off of it. So for about a little over a year I haven't had any drugs to help with the pain and I've been dealing with it.

I still wasn't getting answers. I went to another neurologist and he told me that it could be a winged scalpula and that could be the spread to other parts of Fibromyalgia. I told him I'd prefer a more natural route and told me a Paleo diet and Magnesium supplements. I did that and got sick again.

Another thing that has helped since this all started, is going to Chiropractor. I've been going for about 3 years now and get some relief, sometimes I hurt more, but at least helps me get through my weeks. But when I don't go for a while it's pain all over again, like this past 2 weeks. I had to get a lumbar puncture done for my headaches and that caused more pain in the left shoulder blade and down my arm, and I couldn't go to Chiropractor these past few weeks because of it.

My question, is there anyone that has experienced this pain that is specific to the left side? If so, what have you been told it is? And what do you do to help prevent it from being so bad?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope that you might have some help or support on what to do next!

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,432

Hello Emmy!
    Welcome to Spine-Health

I read over your post a few times, trying to see if Fibro played a roll in this. But first, your drugs or meds. I have a very high tolerance to medications because of my metabolism, which is very high. My PM doctor ran a Gene Therapy Drug Interaction test on me to see what would work. Everything I was taking was wrong and the test even recommended what to use. Below is a link that explains it more.

Testing For the Right Meds

I have had Fibro for over 20 yrs. Fibro hurts like the flu, from your head to your toes, on a bad day. The side effects are tremendous so you have all of that to deal with too. It attacks your nerve endings, making any touch on your body exaggerated. It is widespread as I've never heard of it effecting only one side of your body. I have been taking Savella for a few years and that has been the only thing that has helped me.

Please feel free to ask more questions if you need to.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • Thank you so much for responding to me! I very much appreciate it. Thank you for informing about the test I will have my primary doctor set it up to do it, because I definitely want to know what to avoid since almost everything I've taken so far has been an issue. And I do experience those sometimes the flu like issues, and the left side is definitely sensitive to touch. That's what all the doctors have said that they have never heard of it on just one side so that's why I'm wanting to looking into other things it could be.

Emily Conder

• advertisement
  • Sorry to hear about your pain! We can all relate to pain on this site. I have been dealing with a nerve pain on my left side since my last back surgery and we have been trying everything and it's still on going. Mine started in my groin area and goes down the left leg and is the most intense around my left knee. After my back surgeon sent me to the hip doctor which sent me to PM we still don't have the answers. These issues after some time start to mess with your head and that seems to make you feel even worse not to mention the poor quality of life. I can get a injection in the pudendal nerve or in my S1 disk area and the pain goes away for 4 weeks. In late November I had the spinal cord stimulator implanted and still can't get off of the Lyrica. I increase my settings then feel a little better and start decreasing my Lyrica intake and pains come back. I have had to take Lyrica after a few of my surgeries and have always been able to wean off of it. I don't now what else to do and am tired of dealing with it daily and pray I can get back off the Lyrica someday. Good luck and know your not alone.

TLIF L4-S1 2007 TLIF L3-L4 2008 TLIF L2-L3 2016