Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post Decompression Surgery recovery from difficulty walking/balancing

Hi - Im new to Spine Health and have valued all the information available as I work through my own back problems. After having moderate back pain for a few years, a month ago I suffered a blown lumbar 3/4 disc and first was looking at an injection based strategy for relief but the MRI showed significant material from the disc herniation had moved into the spinal canal putting pressure on the main nerves so they went immediately to decompression surgery. Im a week out now and still have not regained independent mobility as my left leg is somewhat numb and my left foot is numb and think its a dropped foot status. Both legs are week so the the only way I can walk is with a walker or through leaning on kitchen counters etc. Im going in for my 2 week check up next week after which I will start physical therapy. My question is what have others in a similar situation have experienced in terms of the time and success in resuming normal walking capabilities following a spinal surgery that has impaired your walking. Given I think my weakness is related to hopefully temporary nerve damage, Im wondering if I should be seeing a neurologist to better diagnose the nerve problem. Also interested in whether I should request a specific form of PT given my circumstances. Appreciate in advance any feedback you all can share.on this. Jim

advertisement

Comments