Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Mild leg pain 11 weeks post-op

Hello;

I had a microdiscectomy on my l5-s1 disc September 29th. Overall recovery has been going well. The pain dissipated about 95% since surgery; however I have noticed over the last week or so I've started experience mild leg pain, primarily below the knees. Has anyone experienced this before? I've heard that pain can reoccur after its largely vanished. I was hoping to find out what experiences you had - should I be worried? Or is this normal?

Thanks!

advertisement

Comments

• Hi there,

I am in a very similar boat so maybe that is evidence that this is normal. I am also curious what others on this forum think. The unfortunate reality is this: Most of the time, microdiscectomies are successful... HOWEVER... sites such as this (to no fault of its own) will always have a massive disproportionate user base that is experiencing complications after surgery. Honestly, if I was feeling perfect right about now I probably would not be responding at this very moment. People who feel good want to get on with their lives and my belief is that the vast majority of people who get microdiscectomy do just that.

I am experiencing some pins and needles feelings in my sciatic foot. Sometimes it gets aggravated from the same activities that used to trigger my sciatic pain (like sitting in a couch with zero lumbar support or putting too much pressure on my lower back). I would say my lower back has minor pain, but nothing like it used to be. I am 2 months post op right now.

What worries me is that I was nearly 100% perfect for the first two months, now suddenly feeling very minor pain but it is reminiscent of the exact same pain I used to feel with the sciatica (only it was 100 times worse before). It doesn't feel like simple surgical pain or anything like that. It feels like sciatic pain only maybe less than 1/10 for me.

I told my doc's assistant this several days ago and so far she is not worried. She said this is normal for many patients even within a 6 month window. She also said that usually (although probably not every case follows this exactly) most patients who re-herniate feel a ton of pain instantly. It's not very common for a reherniation to go from a few pins and needles to worse and worse over time. This is what I was told, of course, only one medical opinion and for reassurance I'd like to hear more opinions on the subject.

While it can be scary, I think we are probably in the normal camp so far. But always good to keep talking to the doc about it as it progresses or gets better.

Good luck!