Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

C5-C7 Fusion, Still pain after 2 months

Hello everyone, I am a new member and found lots of posts here that are similar to what I am going through. I have the surgery C5-C7 Fusion October 23, 2017 and I am still in a lot of pain. They didn't give me a neck brace when I was sent home even though I asked for one and it wasn't until my first checkup when I complained of the pain that they gave me one. They also did an xray and said everything was fine and looked good. That was a month ago and it is still the same now. They cut my pain meds due to State laws and I don't don't know what to do. I have been using marijuana to try and ease the pain. Please anyone give some advice. Thank you in advance.

advertisement

Comments

• Roger, I wish there was a easy answer. I’m 3 years post op from C-5 through C-7 ( unsuccessful fusion) and still in pain 3 years later. Pain differs from day to day but hang in there! 1 month, your still in the healing phase. Some surgeons don,t believe in collars after surgery, but be careful wearing one and DONT wear it all the time! You’ll end up with weakening of your neck muscles! As far as the marijuana use, that’s a personal choice plus you don’t have to get into the Opioid war. Hang in there my friend!

• This type of neck surgery takes so much longer to heal than a couple months. After anterior fusions to c 5-7 it took at least 6 months before my surgical pain started to ease and even after that I continued to have pain because I failed to fuse. You should have definitely been given a neck brace for at least the first 6-8 weeks, I'm so sorry, but try not to worry too much as you were probably in too much pain to move your neck too much these past couple months. After 3-4 months you should show some signs of fusing on your x-rays. Make sure your surgeon shows you on your x-ray that you are fusing as non-fusion is one cause for continued pain. I hope you start feeling better and better and everything heals as it should. Take care

• advertisement
  • Had ACDF one year ago 12/8/16, have had neck and arm pain since. Go to a pain center and have had several cervical injections with no relief. Never had MRI due to having stimulator implant in lower back for chronic back pain. Just had new battery implanted which allowed me to have MRI. Haven't had follow up with Neurosurgeon yet but have copy of report. Seems to indicate several bone spurs in facets, with degenerative disks and facets. Wished I never underwent the surgery!

• I had ACDF of C-3 thru C7 just over one year ago. This surgery is no walk in the park by any means, eight hours on the table. My surgeon advised doing front and back fusion. I have plates front and back along with 12 screws. My arm, shoulder, and hand pain and numbness were gone when coming out of surgery and has never returned. I was almost 100% fused at six months. I see on here time and time again where the surgeon only fuses the front. My surgeon told me up front the odds of success was much greater with anterior and posterior fusion. I came out of surgery and sent home with a rigid neck brace, however Dr. told me use it as I felt comfortable with it since the hardware was holding everything steady much more that any brace could. Yes there are months of "weird" and "strange" effects. Weakness for short period of time in one arm, occasional shooting pain in the head, and of course the long term swallowing issue. 13 months out and my swallowing has yet to return to pre op condition. I was told going in this would take a year or more and may never totally recover. No big deal, so I have to be a little careful eating and can choke more easily but it quickly passes. I will forever have less flexible ne

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 274

@Roger84 - CBD Oil has been very helpful for me is assisting with pain management. CBD Oil is legal by federal law. From my research, experience of friends that use CBD Oil and my own experience, it takes about three weeks of use before you start feeling a positive effect.

• advertisement
advertisement