Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Looking for some advice

Hi there

I am new to spine-health but have been using the website as a referencing tool for the past year or so.

I’ve had lower back pain (right sided) and sciatic pain into my right leg for 14 months now. It started (I believe) by over extending my leg and it literally just gave away.

The pain seemes to be manageable (pain killers and gentle excersizes) and then seems to spike every couple of months or so. Currently I am in the spiking period and for 4 weeks have just been in complete agony. Getting out of bed in the morning is horrendous and I just cannot get comfortable at all until my medication (very strong) has kicked.

I had an MRI scan in a January 2017 (during a increased pain spike) which confirmed that I had a herniated disk (L5/S1) causing the problem. I was signed off sick from work for 2 weeks and then it sort of died down again.

The pain has been pretty manageable up until around 4 week ago - I don’t know what happened but currently I am off sick again due to this horrendous back pain. I ended up in A&E because the pain was so bad. I’ve had an MRI scan and am awaiting the results. I cannot sleep, cannot get out of bed, cannot walk, cannot dress myself.

I’m 24 years old, other than being slightly overweight (which I know doesn’t help my situation and I intend to loose some pounds in the new year to see if that helps), I am completely healthy. I have a full time job, an active social life and I don’t have any other health issues. This is completely holding me back in life and it’s really getting me down.

I have tried chiropractor, physiotherapy, yoga, nerve root blocker. I appear to have some sort of lateral shift as when I can walk it’s sideways - I’ve been doing some research to try and correct this with excersizes at Home but currently it’s too painful to do anything with.

I’m wondering if anyone can relate? I feel completely hopeless. I don’t want to have surgery at my age if this can be avoided.

Thank you :)

advertisement

Comments

• elcat93,

Ouch. I hope this helps.

I had disk & bone fragments removed between L4 and L5 because a drunk driver left me with four badly compressed vertebra. [L1, L3, L4, L5] Hence I have nerve root damage to L4 on the left, and both weakness and radicular nerve pain, which signals my body's fight or flight responses with adrenalin. And yes, it can take me hours to get started every morning.

You posted "Currently I am in the spiking period and for 4 weeks have just been in complete agony."

This is likely caused by your body having a feedback loop, that muscle tension in your back makes the pain worse, and the muscle tension is increased by your body's response to pain. I have had positive results from Epidural Steroidal Injections, Trigger Point Injections, and a number of prescriptions including a Muscle Relaxer and low dosage of Morphine . Since having adequate medication, I no longer end up in the Emergency Room for going into the initial stages of shock.

When Severe Chronic Pain is not properly treated, it will cause a variety of damage to your health from Adrenaline and other pain responses. You need to schedule an appointment, read up on Radicular Nerve Pain, and read about the Abuse of Chronic Pain Patients, due to the so called "Opioids Crisis". I was 22 when my life was changed by being thrown thru a car door, and can't stress enough, the issue of Physician Bias against young men.

I had emergency back surgery delayed, by a year and a half, by a doctor at the University of Michigan write "young male seeking drugs for illicit purposes" without even opening the envelope containing the X-rays, My X-rays were taken at the Private Hospital in California, which had turfed me for having "insufficient coverage", I later heard how the surgeon who treated me had an "altercation" with said U of M doctor, and "convinced" him to take early retirement.

So figure out the limits to the area of your pain, and don't procrastinate, as if you have disk or bone in the channel were the Nerve Root lives, you will damage said Nerve Root, like I did. [Your Nerve Roots in that bundle of tissue that comes out of your spinal cord, and it lives in a little channel in each vertebra.]

David