Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Questions after 3 LVL Neck Surgery. Having problems with my right arm

Hey Guys,

First off thanks for letting me joining the site. hopefully someone will have some insight to my problems.,

Ok, First off before my surgery I was having lots of pain in my back, shoulder blade on right side, tingling and burning all down into right arm.

After a MRI, EMG and a CT scan it was determined that I had degenerative arthritis in my neck C3-C6.

Doctor said we needed to do surgery and decompress the vertebra off the nerve. surgery went well no problems at all.

After I went home, didn't expect a whole lot at first. but after a few days I noticed that my right arm is not working, I have full use of my hand. but my arm I cannot lift above my waist. out to the front or out to the side. cant do a curl with the arm. can't lift any weight at all.

After talking with my surgeon, he said we need another MRI, CT Scan and another EMG. I have had the MRI and CT scan, the doctor said the results for them came back great, everything looks good. Going tomorrow for results from the EMG

I am in therapy, but that hasn't changed nothing. no improvement at all.

Talking with my doctor he said its my deltoid and a couple other muscles that are not working and that is causing all my problems. Still having a lot of pain in my shoulder, down my arm into my forearm. Also the burning and tingling still there but comes and goes.

I don't in understand how I had full use of arm when I went to sleep and woke up to nothing, I know there is swelling and the joints have to heal. but it has been 6 weeks now and I feel I like the arm is getting worse. I know I am losing strength in the arm.

Anyone else have this kind of problem, What was done, did therapy help, how long?

It is very hard thing to lose use of your dominant side. starting to get depressed and thinking it my never come back.

advertisement

Comments

• Hi Will-self

Welcome to Spine-health

Surgery can caused all sorts of problems and nerves can get pushed around and they don't like that. If your surgeon is saying everything looks fine, then this may just take time.

I guess the only other option is to get a second opinion, if you feel something is being missed.

I have added two links below to help new members with information and these also contain the forum rules. There is lots of material to research that will give you the power of knowledge.

Welcome to Spine Health

AJ

AJGormit
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017