Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Young, told it's just muscle pain, but I know it's not

• At 22 I had an X-Ray at work and was told that I had discs rubbing in my back but I didn't have any pain at all back then. I'm in my early 60's now and I've had an L5/L4/L3 fusion with a cage and screws because my discs were 1/2 inch out of alignment. I now have SI Joint pain as well as severe muscle pain from the surgery I had 3 years ago. I also take Vicodin for pain regularly and the doctors are trying to wean me off of them. Recently I had an SI Joint injection and now I can actually feel my spine moving between S1/L5 and this movement is causing not only spinal cord pain but also muscle pain as my muscles contract to try and protect the damaged area. My suggestion to you is to change jobs to something that won't cause more back pain for you. I don't know what that Is as I sat in chairs for 37 years during my career. Go to a Neural Surgeon or an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon and see what they advise. Your family MD and even some unqualified Pain Centers aren't any help. Since you're having this much trouble so young, please take this seriously or you could cause serious damage to your spine and you don't want that.

• @Gary987654321 it's very frustrating trying to live with only mild pain relief. I'm hoping I won't need surgery, but obviously will if it's necessary. Good work on your recovery though!

@keephope It was a doctor of my choosing. My problem with that is I live in a small town and have tried multiple doctors. My current one listens to me slightly more, which is how I got an mri after so long. The doctors and physio have recommended exercises. But I can't really do much.

But since they keep telling me it's muscle pain, I've just continuously been trying to stretch the muscles out (to my own limit) to prove them wrong I guess? Plus it's the most I kove during the day, so i don't mind it too much. I know which ways my back can't bend

@dilauro the insurance company isn't playing a big part at the moment, my employer failed to inform me of the proper workcover claim. I am seeing a solicitor to get this sorted, but until then, everything was being paid in-store

@TechFish I can already feel my back moving around unfortunately, it's sort of like crunching. I do believe that any muscle problems I have are only due to the pain. I am definitely going to look at resigning soon, just waiting on advice for a solicitor so then I don't need to pay medical bills etc. And the other issue I will have is finding another job. It is already hard enough in my town, I can only imagine it'll be worse with a back injury.

I am definitely trying to get it sorted as soon as possible, I understand that I am way too young to start being stuck home because of pain. Thankyou for your help :)

• advertisement