Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Who I am Now?

I saw a small question on this earlier and it brings up a lot of questions and answers on “ who I am now”

Talking about since your surgery or Dx, How has this changed you?

advertisement

Comments

• DavidGDavidG Posts: 10
    edited 12/20/2017 - 3:56 AM

For myself,I know before injury,

• I was and am a Mom of 4, wife of a Police Officer. When I first hurt my back, I was 29, pregnant with our first child. Through the 15 years between initial injury and first surgery, I raised 4 kids, was a Girl Scout Leader, Red Cross Instructor, and trainer, Boy Scout Leader, outdoors camper, hiker and explorer, caregiver in chief...lol

My first surgery was 3/06- it resulted in a spinal cord injury and a wheelchair as I lost my ability to stand or walk. 18 months later, I had a 'salvage op', to try to prevent further damage and hopefully allow me not to spend the rest of my life in that chair. Thankfully, with a lot of hard work and determination, I succeeded.

I am now turning 54 next month, refuse a 3rd surgery, and while the things I used to love, camping, hiking, outdoor life, road trips with the kids have fallen by the wayside physically, I appreciate that I am still standing on my own two feet, albeit wobbly some days, and I take longer to get things done, I can still do them.

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,365

I am still waiting to see Who I am Now!

Last year I had major lumbar surgery and this year, I've dealt with a respiratory problem that lasted 6 months and then discovered I have several block arteries in my heart.

So, I believe I could have more in store for me in the next upcoming years.

But for NOW, I am very happy and content. I love working with Veritas-Health and it gives me a sense of accomplishment.

And most importantly, I am trying to be better at being a Husband, Father, Friend, etc. It amazing how medical conditions can rob you of some natural easy feelings.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: [email protected]
  • Ron, I have to agree. I don’t know at times who I am either! It seems to change lately on a daily basis lol. Sometimes we become our worst enemy which is true in my case! I look at my brand new 2 year old treadmill, stationary bike, which have had no use, even though I always say tomorrow, LOL. Before my surgery, I knew who I was, now I don,t. Just trying to reinvent myself! But like I’ve always said, Everyday is a good day!

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,432

I honestly don't know. With me not being able to do more physically, I offset it with keeping my mind active.
    And you can certainly do that on the forum lol.
    I do know that I'm not so stressed out anymore and more able to relax. Our grandson (he's 27) has been here since Sat. and leaves Sun. He said the biggest and best change in me has been that I don't spend all day, cooking, cleaning, picking up, cleaning, and on and on. He said now everyone can relax because I'm not running around like a mad man.
    As David said, I was my worst enemy.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • advertisement
  • I am me..

Rogue,challenger,achiever,pushy,angry,never satisfied....but content with what i can" accomplish...

Which is separate from "who" i am

What i can do is one thing totally removed from what i cant.

I...cant ..

walk a tightrope..cant walk a strait line,walk without a lurch,run,jump,move my neck more than,a few degrees in a sphere of movement,go long between bathroom breaks,not have a headache,think of what i was,sit,stand,bend easily

I can

Write,photograph,speak,imagine

Who i am is this..these and more

What i was doesnt matter..

The last few,minutes have ceased to be present and exist...i only exist...right now and the inumerable seconds into the future..so while i may regret things yesterday..i have "next" to "be"...

Living in the past is not living,its remembering...Not creating or participating in life..not crafting,not doing..not...being.

I am in pain..but i dont identify as pain..i choose not to every day..choosing to be a wonderful me

All bent,shattered and broken

Old pottery is cracked like,me..with a glaze and patina and fragility of years and for tjose who know how to see? Has a story to tell

Every Spiney was,is and will have a story to tell

We are not..."done"

Chronic pain..which is Ultima Thule as far as a definition of this\my interpretation of Spine-Health is to me...is not the definition of my humanity..definition of me...

I look that beast in the eye everyday and laugh

I say

Not today..NOT TODAY!

someday i will weaken and pass, then tue beast pain will have a hollow victory

For i will be in a better place..VICTOR for not giving up or giving in.

That is who I am

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• I think we are all, (and I apologize if you don't want to be included in what I am going to say), the pillars of our families. I think that is the change since the spinal problems and surgeries. We endure much, we cope as well as well can, and we go on. "Victors for not giving up or giving in." as William Garza says. I totally agree.

Other than that the usual, daughter, sister, wife, foster mother to many for thirty years, mother, grandmother, great grandmother, and, this may surprise some of you, peacemaker of the family, after all its got to be someone. lol.

advertisement