Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

The war on opiates and how it affects chronic pain patients

advertisement

Comments

• Meg,

Sorry I misunderstood, I apologize.

• Ron,
    I think two main posts on the war on opiates. One for people who are extremely upset, worried, and disagree with what's happening.

One for people who take a more moderated, compassion approach towards the "war". And, agree, with some aspects of what is happening.

Each side can read the others position. Each side, if wanted, can post to either position, but must be very respectable. it sometimes can be risky, to post an unpopular opinion on certain sites, in my opinion. Two main posts could solve that problem and make members feel more comfortable.

As to other posting situations, lol, people should be, as now, able to open as many dicussions as they want, in my opinion. This can be frustrating, I know for many of members. The whole picture often cannot be seen. But severely isolated people are trying to fill a personal need for basic human companionship. Why should we judge them? Of course, duplicate posts should continue to be removed. Perhaps a forum for people who just want to connect to other people on a daily basis? I don't know.

Anyway, just my opinion.
  • advertisement
  • Hi Rob

Yeah I have a lot of American based friends so I’m aware of the situation regarding pot.

It’s certainly something that needs a grown up discussion, especially here in the UK.

Accept what you’re saying, it worked for me... it may not work for the next person. I personally feel it’s a far safer option than opiates because of the difference in the way the brain receptors work between canaboids and opioids. And just for this reason alone, and the possible medical properties (that I think are pretty widely accepted) surely it warrants serious investigation. Anyway I think we agree! :) anything that makes pain relief safer for long term sufferers must be a good thing.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Amen to that!

• advertisement
  • Not sure why I was asked about gabapentin and that's correct, I don't have a son.

I did give my opinion on having a War on Opiods on another recent thread. I am all for it.

Again, if this War on Opiods doesn't affect the way you are prescribed to already, it will. Soon. Those of us who use opiods for chronic pain need to be very concerned about it.

Thanks.

• Rob,

So glad your son got his life back and is doing so well. I recently found out that my son has been using drugs for the last 9 years off and on. He got angry with me when he was 19 because my rules were not acceptable to him and decided to move in with his Dad who lived 9 hours away. He didn't last long there either and he and his girlfriend have been living with random family and friends for the last 9 years. They also have a 7 year old little boy who also had to live like this. Anyway, I guess I should have figured it out because I never understood why neither could keep a job, a car, or anything else for that matter and I have helped out with money way more than I should have. About six months ago, he got stopped and they found a small amount of drugs on him so he went to jail. Luckily he has never been in trouble before so he got 5 years probation and has to be drug tested weekly. I am so glad about that! He has a really good job right now but when I expressed worry that he might lose it like before, he said not to worry because he really loves this job and this is the first time he has had a job and been completely drug free. That broke my heart. He was the kid that always tested out super high in school but had severe ADHD so couldn't function in a normal classroom. He would speak out which was disruptive to the other kids. Put him in the alternative school where he did well but they did not offer all the courses he would need to actually graduate. I really did try everything. Took him to a psychiatrist and he told me to just have him get a GED so we did.

I too think drug addiction should also be seen as medical not criminal. Not just because of this incident, I have felt that way for along time. Anyway, thanks so much Rob for letting me share this. Sorry to do it on your post. I am so happy for your son and I hope my son is a success story as well. Have a Merry Christmas!!

Cindy

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks Rob!

Cindy

• MrNyleMrNyle Posts: 41
    edited 12/26/2017 - 10:20 PM

"Alcoholics are not monitored how many bottles of wine they can buy per
    day, just as smokers are not limited to a pack of cigarettes per day, or
    obese people limited to one Big Mac."

I've been thinking about that too. 1,300 people die each day from cigarettes, but only about 90 a day from opioids. There's also about 90 deaths a day from alcohol. So why is it that there's an "opioid epidemic" and not one for cigarettes or alcohol??? It's because of the war on drugs and they're doing a witch hunt after opioids. It doesn't help that the media keeps talking about it since they have nothing else to report on. Although I haven't heard anything about it on the news in a few months so that's good.

advertisement