Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Are muscle relaxers for long term use ?

jonisingt35rjjonisingt35r Posts: 165
edited 12/21/2017 - 5:52 AM in Pain Medications

Hello

Could someone please tell me if they are used long term ? I asked my doc the other day about these and he said there wasn't any available, I'm from he UK

I have had some good luck with an antiinflammatory drug that is helping me just wondered if I combine it with a muscle relaxers it may help me more.

When I take the inflammatory drug it just feels like things are relaxing on my hip and back of mt leg and spine.

Thank you

advertisement

Comments

• No Jon, muscle relaxers are not for long time use. In time, you’ll only build up a tolerance to them and then you’ll end up upping your dosage and taking more then you need. The best advice is getting involved with physical therapy and strengthening your muscles and then continuing with a exercise routine. That by itself as well as counciling will make you a new person. Lying in bed all day will only cause muscle atrophy, weight gain, followed by cardiac disease and other serious medical diseases.

• jonisingt35rjjonisingt35r Posts: 165
    edited 12/21/2017 - 10:41 AM

Had this for a long time, David exercise does nothing I'm afraid I've tryed everything believe me I do stretches, ect and walking

I thik i have had some success with a anti inflammatory I've been taking last couple of days

• advertisement
  • MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 362

I also was wondering about long-term use muscle relaxers. I would like to have more people tell their story of how long they have been taking relaxers. I have been taking Zanaflex for aBout 4 months. 2 mg 2 to 3 times a day. Should I be concerned, I have spasticity pretty bad. Take care God bless merry Christmas

• Mike, they put me on Valium 10 mg x 3 a day since my cervical fusion for my muscle spasms 3 years ago. Have I hit my tolerance level? Definitely! Can I tell when it starts wearing off? You bet, not just by the spasms but the early withdrawal symptoms, trembling, lack of concentration. Only advice I will give anyone is to take a pill only when needed! If your Doctor thinks you need daily narcotics it’s one thing, but my advice is to take any narcotic only when needed before it becomes a crutch!

Dave, does your muscle spasms Affect your diaphragm muscles, stomach muscles, and chest muscles. Also did it help your anxiety. Its like all my muscles are stiff . Also if you weaned off Valium would it be hard to do.

• advertisement
  • Mikethepike,

My son has severe spastic cerebral palsy, so he has great spasticity and would curl up into a ball without his muscle relaxer. He is in his thirties and been on them his entire life. Sometimes, he will get an allergic reaction and they change him to a different one. He has gotten shots for years with no side effects on the new medicine. This is probably different from you problem, of course. But it is still spasticity.

I think muscle spasms are different than spasticity which, as I understand it-the spasticity, comes from a brain injury (grade four brain bleed at birth in my son's case due to extreme prematurity, a two pound baby). But I am not a professional, just his mom.

I would check with you doctor on this question.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Hey Dave, just wondering if your muscle spasticity came on slowly over a matter of a couple years. Mine did, it's getting pretty bad

Do you still stay active, I try to go to therapy twice a week, massage once a week, get to the grocery store A couple times a week.

It's getting tougher as time goes on. I have myelomalacia in the C 2 area. Do you have myelomalacia? And wear a at.

Take care God bless merry Christmas to everyone

advertisement