Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Freaking out--low back pain with minor urinary incontinence

Hi all,

I'm a 47-year old woman with a long history of low-back problems (pain, spasms) that usually resolve within days. Don't remember having MRI or X-rays, but not surprised if there is herniation.

7 weeks ago I had two days of dental work done, and afterwards my lower back was jacked. It's been that way since. Thought it was getting better, then yesterday started feeling worse. Went to chiro who said (based on moving me around) that it looked like musculo/skeletal, not herniation. Have been doing core exercises and stretching.

Past few days, back hurts when lying down (first time since it's been hurt). Also been feeling 'heavy' in my pelvic floor area; today, felt some urgency all day to pee; also felt a little leaking out (possibly), and definitely felt it *wanting* to leak out when I tried to relax and sleep.

I've been reading about Equina syndrome--is this something to worry about, or only if I start having numbness, etc?

Can urinary incontinence (minor) happen without my needing to panic? Should I see a doc and get x-rays/MRI to confirm herniation? My back feels a little better today, ironically, but...I'm just worried.

Thanks so much for any advice!!!

advertisement

Comments

• Hi jcat33

Welcome to Spine-health

Symptoms connected to your back/bladder should not be ignored, but only your doctor can advise you as there are no medical professional on this site.

Best be safe and get this check out as soon as possible today, to eliminate any connection to the syndrome you mention above. This syndrome is classed as a medical emergency.

I have added two links below to help new members with information and these also contain the forum rules. There is lots of material to research that will give you the power of knowledge.

Welcome to Spine Health

AJ

AJGormit
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • Yes i agree also,.my docs are.always asking me about imcontance, go to emergency streight. Away

• advertisement
  • Also agree. Have had this problem recently after a fall. Personal opinion, buy pads for night and daytime. You will sleep better and worry less about accidents. At least I do. It is classified as an emergency! As AJ said, please don't Don't delay.

• MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 428

You might be better served by changing your approach from "panic-thinking" to "urgent-thinking". Panic means you lose control of your emotions and add unnecessary stress. Urgent means you take swift action while keeping your wits. We cannot control that which we have no control over.

I think it definitely serves a Chiropractor's best interest by telling their patients "it is musculo-skeletal", just as much as it serves a surgeon to say we need to operate. Be careful and do your best to educate on these things. I am not saying all doctors do business in this manner but to just do your due diligence in getting all the information possible.

You might want to check into your pelvic alignment. It is my understanding that digestive and reproductive issue's can be traced to misaligned pelvis. Of course you'd have to determine which muscles are imbalanced in order to get the proper exercises.

It perplexes me when someone is prescribed strength and stretching routines. Obviously they are given to focus on the muscles, but why do strengthening to out-of-balance muscles? My thoughts are if you can stand, sit, walk, go to the toilet, lay down, etc, you have enough strength already, and adding more strength only encourages more imbalancing. My thoughts and experience though.

• Thanks, everyone. Feels better today....but I'm going to make an appointment with doc for next week to make sure I'm ruling anything out. Of course, if I feel these symptoms again, I'll go to ER.

• advertisement
advertisement