Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

still not able to sit. Is something being missed?

Hello all. All the doctors and clinicians that I've seen have been quick to look at my MRI pic and tell me that I have two bulging discs.

What no one has been able to specifically tell me or provide guidance/insight, is to why when I sit the pain will travel down to the end of my tailbone and is on the left side. It feels as if when I sit, that left side (right above the buttocks where it meets the lower back) is being pushed up (like a roll up door). The longer I sit the greater the pain becomes and if I sit for a significant time the horrible pain will linger with me even after I get up. When I get up from sitting there is a jolt like sensation as if something is pushing back once I rise from sitting.

I feel as if something is being "missed". Doctors/clinicians are quick to simply look at my MRI pic and all they say is that I have two bulging discs without doing any further comprehensive evaluation/investigation.

Does anybody have any guidance or insights that can help me? Thank you for your time.

advertisement

Comments

• Hi Looking......., could be that the bulging discs are impinging on nerves and doing that more so when you sit. If the discs are "bulging" they are not in their natural position. What do the Drs recommend? Did you ask them if the bulging discs are causing this pain? Sorry you are going thru this, its never easy. Others here may be able to provide more insight. Take care, cheers!

10 level fusion T9 - S1 with pelvic fixation. Two titanium rods, 24 screws, 4 cages.

Firm believer in PMA

• Hi lookforaway

Welcome to Spine-health

You are asking about sitting and if something has been missed. You mentioned in your previous post that your doctor has talked about fusion. This is not something offered lightly and normally after other therapies have been tried and not helped. Maybe you need to ask further advice about why this was offered and what is happening during sitting, without this procedure to give stability.

I know from years of experience of pain that sitting can be a huge challenge and I sympathise with you for your pain.

I have added two links below to help new members with information and these also contain the forum rules. There is lots of material to research that will give you the power of knowledge.

Welcome to Spine Health

AJ

AJGormit
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • advertisement
  • I empathize with you. Sitting can be one of the most painful things for me with my back problems. I had a ruptured disc and a herniated disc and sitting increased the pain tenfold, especially down my legs. I currently have one bulging disc in my lumbar area and three bulging discs in my neck and they definitely cause pain and discomfort thought doctors tell me it’s not bad enough to operate on. If your doctors have suggested a fusion in a previous post as mention by @AJGormit, he’s right in that doctors don’t discuss fusions lightly. If it’s causing that much pain and other more conservative treatments didn’t help, it may be that you need a discectomy or a fusion (I have had both). Of course that’s the last option, perhaps you’d be helped by some steroid injections (I know many people who have been helped immensely by them). I’m not sure if your doctor has discussed that with you but it’s worth talking about.