Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

9 days post ACDF c4/5/6 throat ?

i have heard so many things about throat issues after surgery.

I feel like I have a lump in my throat and it’s giving me panic attacks. It feels like the hardware is rubbing on my throat, but I don’t know if that is even possible.

How llong does this last

advertisement

Comments

• Kimerelli, it takes some time for the throat to feel normal due to the intubation as well as the retraction of the esophagus during surgery! 9 days does sound like a longer time but everyone is different. If it’s bothering you or your having trouble swallowing, definitely call your surgeon!

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 274

@kimberelli - I've had two ACDFs and a third on scheduled in January. My one at C6/C7, I had similar symptoms for about a week. My one at C3/C4 lasted about three weeks. I agree with DavidG, if you conditions continue, I'm also suggesting you call your surgeon.

• advertisement
  • I have hardware at C6/7 and I remember it taking quite a while to get used to it. I feel like it took me a couple weeks before I accepted the lumpy feeling. My voice will still get hoarse when I talk loud at meetings for an extended period of time and I am approaching two years post op. I can feel the hardware in certain positions so I try to avoid those positions. As everyone else mentioned, if you feel it is impeding breathing or swallowing then call the doc. Go easy as you are still pretty fresh out of surgery. I drank tons of smoothies to help me!!

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 274

Pureed food also worked well for me, kind of like smoothies, but I felt I could better maintain a balanced diet.

advertisement