Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

One week post op

Merry Christmas to all and thank you for those who answered my last question.

I have another question that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I am one week post op from an L4 L5 micro discectomy. The first couple of days were promising and the strength that I had lost in my left leg had returned, I was walking increasingly further and got up to about 3KMs by day 5. However yesterday and today the pain that I had when I first sustained the injury has now returned and is reasonably acute. Is this something that I should be worried about or is it normal? Immediately prior to the operation I was not in a lot of pain the main symptom was the lack of strength and control in my left leg. What I have been told is that the reason the pain had ceased and strength gone was that the nerve was shutting down (It had been 5 months since injury) and now the nerve is turned on again it is hurting from the scar tissue and damage it has received??? I would appreciate any help someone can give me on this as I am rather anxious about it??

advertisement

Comments

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 274

@tonyvic - I'm concerned that you might be walking too much too soon. Whenever you have surgery, you end up having very angry soft tissue at the surgery site. The recommendations I've hear is to give 10 days to two weeks for soft tissue pain to start to dissipate. I applaud your walking, but you might be doing too much too soon.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 3,437

tonyvic

I agree with nutcase, you might be overdoing it a bit. But it's only been a week. Besides angry soft tissue you have nasty little nerves that are waking up, and they don't like to be woken up. It's going to take time, don't push it. Just remember, patience!!

Happy Holidays

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my Medical History
  • advertisement
  • Thanks so much guys. What you have said is what others have told me. I really want to get this rehab right.

• jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 465

Sorry for your pain, Tony. I had the same surgery many years ago. Started rehab a couple of weeks after that. It was so hard. 1 week post op is very early. It was almost 2 months till I was able to return to work and I was still in a lot of pain. Hang in there.

• Hi,

I'm 13 days post op from an l5 s1 discectomy, and in the immediate days that followed i had almost no left leg pain and very minimal numbness and tingling in my left foot.. i startd walking 2km within a few days.. but much like other comments i found that this was too far, too soon for me.

I started getting more discomfort and nerve pain, with added numbness and tingling.. i was scared that I'd reherniated due to chasing after cats (don't ask)... i panicked and sought advice on this forum. Aj calmed my nerves (No pun intended) and i just relaxed into the mindset that its going to take time for everything to happen. For me i knew that it was still ok, as sneezing and coughing didn't cause me to collapse to the ground. So i just got on with living and at the moment, I'm lucky that my numbness and tingling has stopped, i have minimal nerve discomfort in the rear of my left leg and buttock.

I'm looking forward to starting PT on Friday.. i can put up with nerve pain as long as i can go back to work and live a normal life with my family.

It's early days for you, take it easy and remain positive. It's gonna be a long journey.. just keep us updated on your progress...

Cheers

Bayaz

• advertisement
  • Hey all - also new to this forum.

Mine is similar Tony, Bayaz looking at your other post I think I had my surgery just a couple of days before you so it seems we are all similar op times.

My post op pains are very different to pre op, not focussed as acutely in the same affected areas. I don’t have much strength in my legs at all and my numbness is predominately in my heels and toes, so walking 3 km for me right now just wouldn’t be possible! Although my legs tire if I do too much.

I also have numbness tingling from my hipbone through to mid thigh - only at night - quite strange never had this previously

I’m due to return to work (office based but with ergo stand up desk) next week. I’m just worried how tired my legs will be, but will have to see how it goes.

I to am so so scared of a reherniation prior to scar tissue forming. Does anyone actually know rough times of how long that is (mine was a large herniation and the pic what was removed was surprisingly big!)

One more thing ! I used to be an early bird, post op I find it so hard to get to sleep at night yet when asleep I could sleep for 12 hours!

It’s great to be able to read and share experiences/ hear from others on here!

Dee

advertisement