Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain numbers

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,365

David, everything you posted here is so on target.

Take it a step down and make it closer to home here on the forums. Over the years we have had many members who would only talk about their pain level being 10 or much higher. Yet the spend almost 8 hours a day posting, and not just watching, actual posts.

I dont know but when pain levels even started to creep up to a 7, there would be NO WAY I would near a computer. That is just a recipe for disaster.

People do need to be completely honest when they talk to medical professionals about their pain level. That way, you stand a much better chance of getting what is needed to help you

Many times I have read here about the pain level a women has doing child birth. There is no way I can imagine or try to imagine that type of pain. But its much easier to understand a pain level of 9 or 10 in those situations, especially since its Acute pain.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: [email protected]
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805

I totally agree with you both David & Ron, it can't be easy working in the medical profession, a psychology background would definitely be beneficial. Just think of all the personalities that enter each and every medical facility daily.

• advertisement
  • This is the first time I must disagree, a little, with David.

Not all doctors in all ERs are equal, and having muliple serious medical problems complicates a patients situation so things are missed.

I always go to the same ER, if I need an ER, and my records are on the system. The doctor concentrated on a known medical problem despite reassurances from me that is wasn't that. She missed the new problem, and I was released without a MRI and a pain shot that I desperately needed. Long story short, complained, hospital apologized, and I spendt a weekend in extreme pain half out of my mind.

As for people who read posts and post while claiming to be at a "10", I agree people have difference pain level tolerances, I think mine is extremely high, but at a "10", I barely know my name.

• Ranger, We do take a course in Psych for our RN but a sense of humor is mandatory! Honestly though experience is the best guide. We’re taught to treat each patient as if their part of our own family!

• Grtgrandma1, I’m not saying all patients with pain going to the ER are wrong by all means. Patients with multi medical conditions are hard at times to diagnose properly. Let me give you a example, a 70 year old man comes in by 911 complaining of severe low back pain. He also advised he had chronic back pain and had been working in the yard all day. Young Dr Young( fictitious name) “assumed” it was a exacerbation of his chronic back pain gave him a mild pain shot and ordered simple X-rays. The man died 1 hour later from a dissecting abdominal aneurysm! Yes mistakes happen. Tunnel Vision, patient overload,inexperience, So many factors are involved. This was a tragedy and yes it was me that brought this man by rescue into the ER and told the MD my impression that I suspected it was a triple A ( another term for the same) but he was a MD, I was just a field Paramedic so what did I know werehis feelings. The point of the original post was the 1-10 scale and the inaccuracies of it.

• advertisement

Thank you David for the reminder that this about the Pain scale

• I do sometimes lose focus and get distracted, so, yes, thank you David. The pain scale, in my opinion, doesn't work well.

• I was just in the ER. Not for pain directly but sky high BP and pulse. Could not stand without walker. They asked if I was there for pain, no..Nothing you can do for it. 4 hoirs later a shot of Torodol the pain went down and so did my BP and pulse.

I refused opiods, pain would have come back.

Oh my pain number 8.

• I'm probably in my current state now because of this stupid scale. When I injured (broke) my back they said give your pain a number with 10 being the worst pain imaginable, I think I gave myself an 8 or a 9 because the worst pain I could imagine would be having your arms and legs blown off in Afghanistan, and I knew I wasn't that bad. And then when I was prescribed strong pain killers, of course my pain improved.

Then 3 months later when I was finally diagnosed with a broken back, nothing could be done. How I wish I had said my pain was 11+

Now I don't know how to rate myself any more... am i just used to the constant aching? a low score for me is probably a high score for someone else.

February 2015 : T12 burst fracture undiagnosed for 12 weeks
    June 2015: kyphoplasty
    December: T12-L3 facet injections
    Currently contemplating reconstruction

Please, there is no such thing as 10+ anything when someone is a true 10, that is the top of the pain limit

advertisement