Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post-Op Must Haves

advertisement

Comments

• I tried to be as prepared for this as possible....bought the Ensure shakes, lots of pudding and soft foods....and all I can really have is popsicles. Even water is going down hard. I felt like I was drowning a few times. The nurse called me this morning to find out how I was doing and she said...to stick with the popsicles for a few days because the cold will sooth the throat. Man am I having a rough time with this. But even with all the small complications....I feel much better than I did before the surgery.
  • What a great list, I thought I had everything I needed but after reading the list there was few things I forgot or just didn't think about.
    I decided to rent me a hospital bed (semi electric) to see if it would help me sleep and relieve some of my pain. I am so glad because it is helping. I got it through my local drug store for $150.00 per month at no extra cost for delivery and setting it up. I did go buy me a memory foam topper to help. I set it up in my family room where the big TV is and closer to the kitchen! ;) My surgery is next Wendesday, ALIF L5-S1
  • advertisement
  • By far the most useful thing I purchased prior to my lumbar fusion/decompression is the "grabber." I'm 2 weeks post op and I don't know what I would have done without it. I even use it to get clothes out of the dryer and feed my dogs! The one I have is called EZ Grabber and is made by Carex. Should be able to google it. Also, I thing our local Eckerds (I think it has a new name) has them.
  • I think the above list is great--wish i had found it before surgery-HA!

I live in NH in the mountains and we have now had snow for a couple weeks. I bought a pair of ice grabbers to put on my boots. They have little titanium (i think) picks which can be replaced for 8 a set. I have had these for several years and still have not had to replace original ones. I also bought a ice prong for my cane that flips up out of way when not in use ($6.95). Very helpful!

the only other thing I think I would recommend is some kind of instrument to use in the bathroom to wipe oneself. I know several other people who said they struggled with this. They make special care tongs but the are pricey. I saw something at Walmart in the medical area which could work. I used a pair of kitchen tongs that had metal rounded ends, easy to hold paper and to sanitize.

Thanks to everyone for their good ideas.

Jody

Herniated disc at work L5- S-1, failed microdiscectomy 2003
    9/2008 micro PLIF 2 levels w/ instrumentation and BMP
  • My surgery for aftificial disk replacment is in 3 weeks.How long before I can drive?
  • advertisement
  • Just a couple additions for the Post-Op must haves:

1. Access to this forum. It's the best support available and it's 24/7 and free! (Be sure to hang around following your surgery to provide support to other members and newbies.)
    2. A positive attitude (although a few pity parties are allowed and understood and as long as the party doesn't last too long). ;)
  • and I have mine printed out and have somethings already.
    As for having your husband stay with you I think that is the best thing if you do not have anyone to help you after you come home. I will have my husband and my mom will also stop in to help and visit to make sure I am doing okay. Now just the wait.
  • It's so important to healing bones. I was craving orange juice and milk (not together) after my surgery. Usually I don't drink either. When I realized both were great sources of vit D I realized my must be craving it with the fusion.

If you can get just 10 minutes a day in the sun your own body will produce vit D. If no sun then load your body up with vit D foods.

FYI be very careful taking vit D in a supplement form because you can get to much of it.

EM
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,365
    FAQ

Thanks to list that Amy (saltzworks)put togetehr, this information is now available for everyone via FAQ
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: [email protected]
  • I have my list ready and surgery is 4 days away. Boy am I nervous.
advertisement