Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published, your email address is available to anyone on the internet, including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post-Op Must Haves

advertisement

Comments

• This is fantastic. Just what I was after. Thank you for this list.

• Oh my goodness! This is the exact reason I went online and ended up finding this forum. Thank you so much! I am having my alif surgery on the 29th of August. I have been trying to make a list of things I may need, because I know that once I am out of surgery, my post op pain will make me forget everything I needed.. Your list is a lifesaver, there are things that I have already written down but the trash bags for the car seat is brilliant. Makes so much sense. Again, thank you! Best of luck to everyone who is recovering or will be soon. I know myself well enough to know that at least the first week post op, I am going to ask "Why did I do this? " but I know it is the right decision for me, and my post op pain won't last forever. Prayers going out for all of you!

• advertisement
  • Super list! I scoured the web and came up with something similar. I took a bunch of stuff to the hospital with me, but I didn't even open my bag! I had two major spinal consecutively, and was in too much pain to appreciate anything! But, I had a GREAT bag packed!! Thanks so much for your A+++ effort and for sharing!!! The after the hospital is the most important. You might want to add 3-4 large gel ice packs. I went thru mine pretty quickly, and they don't get cold very quickly! I think I have around 5 at the moment. They are cheap on Amazon! :)

• Super list! I scoured the web and came up with something similar. I took a bunch of stuff to the hospital with me, but I didn't even open my bag! I had two major spinal surgeries consecutively, and was in too much pain to appreciate anything! But, I had a GREAT bag packed!! Thanks so much for your A+++ effort and for sharing!!! The after the hospital is the most important. You might want to add 3-4 large gel ice packs. I went thru mine pretty quickly, and they don't get cold very quickly! I think I have around 5.

• aamaaam californiaPosts: 16

I have a claw-foot tub that I would never be able to get in to....to step over would be dangerous and impossible. I do have an outdoor solar shower that is hooked up to the garden hose in my backyard....it works real well but COLD in winter!

• advertisement
  • Great list :)

Read my surgery and recovery blog at

https://joynerjournal.co.uk/category/life-stories/

• I also have an overactive bladder condition, and knew it would be aggravated by all the IV fluids in the hospital and also at home. Before surgery I bought a bedside potty...it's a very good thing to have in the days after recovery so that you're not getting up to walk to the bathroom where you could potentially twist your back or bend the wrong way or whatever. I bought some potty liners that come with absorbent silica gel powder to absorb the urine and then it's easy to just use and discard rather than emptying a bucket of pee. Anyway, I highly recommend that anyone with bladder issues get a portable potty for bedside after surgery. Really makes life easier on many levels, especially if you don't have someone with you 24/7.

• barbie2016bbarbie2016 washington statePosts: 11

I am using a grabber and as a result my arms hurt. I just try not to drop anything. Also wear shoes at all times. Sounds like weird advice but the other day I stepped on something sharp and down I went. Have worn slippers and shoes ever since

• Just what I needed! Thank you very much for the list!

• the food list sounds great but not for someone who eats low carb high fat and is type 2 diabetic. Suggestions for those of us who are?

advertisement